You may find the need to Reset Chromecast and start from a clean slate, if it is bothering you with hard to fix problems. You will find below the steps to Factory Reset Chromecast.
Factory Reset Chromecast
Once Chromecast device is properly setup, it rarely bothers and should continue working without any problems.
However, if your Chromecast device is freezing, hanging or not at all working, you should be able to fix the problem by Resetting Chromecast device to its Factory Default Settings.
Also, when you switch to a New Router, you can either Redo the setup process or Reset Chromecast to and set it up again.
When you Factory Reset Chromecast, all your network settings will be lost and you will have to connect back to Home WiFi Network by following steps as provided in this Chromecast Setup Guide.
1. Factory Reset Chromecast on Android Phone
The easiest way to Reset Chromecast is by using Google Home App on your Android Phone.
1. Switch ON the TV to which Chromecast device is connected.
2. Open Google Home App on your Android Phone and tap on Device (TV) to which the Chromecast is attached.
3. On the next screen, tap on Settings icon.
4. On Device settings screen, tap on 3-dots menu icon and tap on Factory Reset option.
5. On the next screen, tap on Factory Reset button to confirm.
As mentioned above, Chromecast will lose its Network Settings due to Factory Reset process and needs to be connected back to your Home WiFi Network.
2. Factory Reset Chromecast on iPhone
Download & Install Google Home App on your iPhone (if it is not already installed) and follow the steps below to Reset Chromecast.
1. Switch ON the TV to which your Chromecast device is connected.
2. Open Google Home App and tap on the Device to which Chromecast is attached.
3. On the next screen, tap on the Settings icon.
4. On Device Settings screen, scroll down and tap on Remove Device option.
5. On Remove Device screen, tap on the Factory Reset option.
6. On the next screen, tap on Factory Reset button to confirm.
After the Reset process is completed, you will have to Setup Chromecast using Google Home App, in order to connect it back to your Home WiFi Network.
2. Factor Reset Chromecast Manually
If you do not want to use Home App, you can make use of the Reset button on Chromecast device to manually Reset Chromecast to Factory Default Settings.
1. Make sure the Chromecast Device is properly plugged into the TV.
2. Press and hold the Reset Button on Chromecast > Continue holding the button as it starts Flashing.
3. Release the Reset Button when the light stops flashing and stays Solid (without flashing).
Chromecast will Reboot and then Reset itself to Factory Default Settings.