You may be required to provide Serial Number of your Laptop or Desktop Computer while trying to upgrade BIOS or Driver Software from the manufacturers website. You will find below the steps to Find Serial Number of Computer in Windows 10.
Find Serial Number of Computer in Windows 10
In general, the Computer Serial Number should be available on the sticker attached to the bottom of the Laptop and on the backside of a Desktop Computer.
If the sticker has become faded and the Serial Number is not clearly visible, you won’t be able to find the Serial Number using Settings or by going to System Information Screen.
However, it is easy to find Serial Number of Computer in Windows 10 by running the WMIC command as provided below.
1. Find Serial Number of Computer Using WMIC Command
Follow the steps below to find the Serial Number of your Laptop or Desktop Computer using WMIC command.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on Run.
2. On the Command Prompt screen, type wmic bios get serialnumber and press the enter key on the keyboard of your computer.
3. Once the Command is executed, you will find the Serial Number of your computer listed below “SerialNumber” on the Command Prompt screen (see above image).
If running the WMIC command does not display the Serial Number, it is likely that the manufacturer of your computer has not saved the Serial Number to BIOS/UEFI firmware.
In such a case you can try other methods as listed below to find Serial Number of your computer.
2. Find Serial Number on the Computer Box
If you still have the box in which your Laptop or the Desktop was delivered, you should be able to find the Serial Number on a sticker attached to the box.
If you had purchased the laptop online, you might be able to find the Computer Serial Number on the Email Reciept.
3. Check Registration and Warranty Documents
If you had registered your computer with the manufacturer, the serial number should be available on the Registration document.
If you were provided with a Warranty or you purchased extended Warranty, the Serial Number should be available on the Warranty certificate.
4. Check Battery Compartment and Case
In case of a Laptop with removable battery, the Serial Number might be present on the sticker attached in the battery compartment.
In case of a desktop computer, it is not uncommon to find the Serial Number on a sticker attached inside the computer case.
5. Find Microsoft Serial Number on Surface Devices
In case of Microsoft devices like “Surface”, the Serial Number is usually 12 digits long (containing only numbers) and is known as a Microsoft Serial Number.
You should be able to find Microsoft Serial Number on the packaging in which your Surface device was delivered.
If you do not have the original packaging, you should be able to find Microsoft Serial Number using the Surface App found on every Surface device.
1. Open the Surface App and click on the Feedback button.
2. On the next screen (“Your Surface”), you will find the Microsoft Serial Number listed.
Just like other computers, Microsoft Serial Number should also be available on the sticker attached to the body of the Surface device.
If you cannot find the sticker at the bottom or sides, check the bottom edge of the Surface clipboard that attaches to the Keyboard and also check the bottom of the Surface Keyboard.
In case of Surface Pro Models, flip out the kickstand and look for a string of numbers near its base.