You will find the need to look for the Serial Number of Hard Drive on your Windows computer for warranty and to find a replacement.
Find Serial Number of Computer Hard Drive
Serial Number can be defined as a Unique identifier of product, commonly used by manufacturers and suppliers to identify the device for warranty purposes.
As far as the Users are concerned, Serial Number can be used to look up for information about the product and find out its eligibility for warranty and replacement.
If you did not write down the Serial Number of the Hard Drive on your computer, you can use any of the following methods to Find Serial Number of Hard Drive in Windows 10.
1. Find Serial Number Using WMIC Command
Follow the steps below to find the Serial Number of Hard Drive on your Windows 10 Laptop or Desktop Computer using WMIC command.
1. Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. On Command Prompt screen, type wmic diskdrive get serialnumber and press the Enter key on the keyboard of your computer.
In addition to Serial Number, you can get the Model Number and Manufacturers Name of the Hard Drive by typing wmic diskdrive get model, name, serialnumber and pressing the enter key.
3. Once the Command is executed, you will find the Serial Numbers of Hard Drives attached to your computer.
If running the WMIC command does not display the Serial Number, it is likely that the manufacturer of your computer has not saved the Serial Number to BIOS/UEFI Firmware.
In such a case you can try other methods as listed below to find the Serial Number of Hard Drive on your computer.
2. Find Serial Number Using PowerShell
If the right-click WinX menu displays PowerShell, you can follow the steps below.
1. Right-click on Start and Click on PowerShell (Admin).
2. On the PowerShell screen, type Get-WMIObject win32_physicalmedia | Format-List Tag, SerialNumber and press the Enter Key.
3. Once the Command is executed, you will see both the Tag (Name) and Serial Number listed for the Internal Hard Drive on your computer.
Note: Tag Number is also visible on the Disk Management screen and it identifies the physical drive number.
3. Find Serial Number on Label Attached to Hard Drive
This option requires you to open the computer case or the back panel of your laptop and take a look at the Label attached to the physical Hard Drive.
The Serial Number should be right below the QR Code written as S/N: XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX.
4. Scan QR Code
If the Serial Number on the label attached to the Hard Drive is not readable, you can scan the QR code printed on the label.
The QR Code usually contains all the information required to check the warranty of the Hard Drive, including its Serial Number.