It can be quite annoying and sometimes even scary when you open up an app and it suddenly freezes. When this happens, you should be able to resolve the issue in most cases by Force Quitting the Unresponsive App, completely stopping it from running on your device.
Force Quit Apps on iPhone and iPad
Even though iOS is designed to run your device as efficiently as possible, you will come across certain apps that become unresponsive or refuse to behave well on your iPhone.
In case an app becomes unresponsive, force quitting the app is known to resolve problems like unresponsiveness and clear up minor glitches.
Another reason for Force Quitting Apps would in case of certain apps like Facebook and Skype that might surprise you by the amount of time they spend in background activities.
When Not to Force Quit Apps
Contrary to the popular belief, force quitting apps is not always useful in improving the battery life or the performer of your device.
Re-launching the apps from scratch will only end up consuming more power and slow down your device as the apps need to update in the foreground, before you can begin to use them.
Hence, Force Quitting Apps should only be resorted to when there is an absolute need to completely stop an app from running on your device.
Force Quit Unresponsive Apps on iPhone and iPad
Follow the below steps to Force Quit Unresponsive apps on your iPhone and iPad.
1. Double click on the Home button, this will open the Multi-tasking Screen
2. Locate the App that you want to Force Close – You may have to Swipe left or right
3. Once you locate the app, swipe up on the App card to Force close the app.
Force Quit Unresponsive Apps by Powering off Your Device
In case you find yourself stuck on the app and it has become unresponsive, you can Force Quit the app by using the following steps.
1. With the app still open/frozen, hold down the Power button until the Slide to Power Off screen comes up (See image below)
2. Now, slide your finger across the slider to power off your device
Now, power on your device and try opening the app to see if the problem still persists.
Tip: In case the app is still crashing, try deleting the app from your iPhone and then reinstall it back again.
Exit Unresponsive Apps on iPhone and iPad
In case you do not want to force quit the app, you can by-pass the unresponsive app and still get back to the home screen by using the steps below.
1. While you are on the Unresponsive app, hold down the Power button, until you see the Slide to Power Off screen
2. Next, hold down the Home Button, till you see your Home screen.