Every phone on a mobile network is tracked by its IMEI number which stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. Considering the significance of IMEI number, it is really important that you know where this number is located on your device and how to find the IMEI number of your phone.
Importance of IMEI Number
Your phone’s IMEI is usually a 15 digit number that is unique to your phone only, no other phone on the network shares your phone’s IMEI. Below are some of the common situations in which you will be required to provide the IMEI number of your phone.
1. For Unlocking your Android Phone.
2. To track and find your lost Android phone in case it is lost or misplaced.
3. For registering a report at your local police station regarding your lost phone.
4. For requesting your phone company to block your phone and prevent anyone from misusing your phone
Find IMEI Number of Android Phone
There are a number of ways to find the IMEI number of your Android phone
1. Below the battery
In case your Android phone comes with a removable battery, you will find the IMEI number below the battery.
1. Turn off your Android Phone
2. Open the back cover and take out the battery.
3. You will see two numbers and a bar code, the number on the top of the bar code is your phone’s IMEI number, and the number below the barcode is usually its serial number (which is another unique identifier)
2. Back of the Phone
Android phones without removable battery will have their IMEI numbers engraved on the back of the phone.
- Turn around your Android phone and take a look at its back portion. You will find the IMEI number engraved on the back of your Android Phone.
- You will find the number written in very small letters. You can use a magnifying glass to see the number clearly.
- You can also take a picture of the back portion of the phone using another phone or tablet, this will allow you to see the IMEI number clearly by zooming in on the picture.
3. Check the Phone Box and Receipt
In case you have kept the box of your Android phone, you should be able to see a sticker on it with a bar code. You will find the IMEI code below the bar code.
Another way is to find the phone’s receipt. It is likely that the vendor has written the IMEI number of the phone on the receipt at the time of purchase.
4. Type *#06#
Perhaps the quickest way to find the IMEI number of an Android phone is to dial in the suggested code.
1. Open the Phone app on your Android Phone
2. Tap on Keypad tab.
3. Dial *#06# using the dial pad.
Your Android phone will immediately display its IMEI number on the screen.
5. From Settings Menu
1. Tap on the Settings icon
2. Scroll down the page and tap About Phone or if you are on a tablet this will appear as About Tablet, located under the subheading System.
3. Next, Tap on Status.
4. You will be able to see the phone’s IMEI code.
You can copy this number to Notes app. Just tap and hold the IMEI number till you see the option to copy.
6. From Your Google Account
You can also login to your Google Account and find the IMEI number displayed on the information screen.
1. Go to google.com/settings/dashboard
2. Sign-in with your Google account
3. Expand the Android tab (See image below)
Once you expand the Android tab you will be able to see all the Android devices linked to your Google Account. You will find details for each device such as Model Number, Manufacturer and also the IMEI numbers (See image below)
Hope you find these simple tips useful. Please do share this with your friends and on your social media accounts.