Users have reported the issue of iMessage displaying an unknown or incorrect Phone Number. You can find below the steps to fix the problem of iMessage displaying Wrong Phone Number.
iMessage Displaying Wrong Phone Number
The problem of iMessage displaying wrong phone number usually occurs when users are trying to activate iMessage for the first time on a second hand or used device.
The same problem is also reported by users trying to use iMessage or FaceTime for the first time, after switching to a New Phone Number.
Depending on the case, you should be able to fix the problem using any of the following methods.
1. Enable/Disable iMessage
In many cases, the problem can be fixed by Disabling iMessage and Enabling it back again.
Go to Settings > Messages > switch off iMessage by moving the toggle to OFF position.
Wait for 30 seconds and Enable iMessage back on your device by moving the toggle to ON Position.
2. Associate New Phone Number With iMessage
This method requires you to disable iMessage, Power OFF iPhone, wait for 5 minutes and re-enable iMessage back on your iPhone.
1. Go to Settings > Messages > switch off iMessage by moving the toggle to OFF position.
2. Go to Settings > General > scroll down and tap on Shut Down. On the next screen, use the Slider to Power OFF iPhone.
3. Patiently wait for 5 minutes and Power ON iPhone by pressing the Power Button.
4. Go to Settings > Phone > make sure your correct Phone Number is displayed next to “My Number”.
5. After this, go to Settings > Messages > switch on iMessage by moving the toggle to ON position.
6. Go to Settings > Messages > make sure your correct Phone Number is displayed next to “Send & Receive”.
As mentioned above, the above steps can help in associating the right Phone Number with Apple iMessage service.
3. Sign-out/Sign-in Back in to Apple ID
The next fix for the problem is to Sign out of iMessage and Sign back in.
1. Open Settings > tap on your Apple ID Name > scroll down to bottom of the screen and tap on the Sign out option.
2. Enter your Apple ID password > On pop-up, select/unselect the type of iCloud Data that you want to copy on your device and tap on Sign Out.
3. After you are signed-out, wait for 30 seconds and Sign-in back into iPhone by tapping Sign-in to your iPhone option in the Settings.
4. Once you are Signed-in, go to Settings > Messages and see if your correct Phone Number is now being displayed next to Send & Receive.
4. Import SIM Card Contacts
Some users have reported fixing the problem by importing SIM Contacts to iPhone.
Go to Settings > Contacts > tap on Import SIM Contacts.
Once the Contacts are imported, see if iMessage is displaying the right phone number.
5. Reset Network Settings
If above method did not work, follow the steps below to Reset Network Settings on your iPhone to Factory Default Settings.
Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > On the pop-up, select Reset Network Settings option.
If prompted, enter your Lock Screen Password > On the confirmation pop-up, tap on Reset Network Settings to confirm.
After iPhone restarts, connect your device to WiFi Network and you should find iMessage displaying the right Phone Number.