In addition to Lock Screen Password, you can set up SIM Card Lock on iPhone in order to add yet another layer of security for your iPhone. This will prevent anyone from accessing information on your SIM Card, making Calls or misusing your SIM Card in any way.
SIM Card Lock On iPhone
SIM Card Lock is a known security feature that is supported by iPhone, Android Phones and almost all other Smart phones. However, not many iPhone users are aware of this feature or do not bother to set up SIM Card Lock on their iPhone.
The SIM Card contains information about your phone numbers, billing information, Contacts and other data that can be misused in case anyone decides to go after your SIM Card.
While you can protect your iPhone with a strong Lock Screen Password and also protect the data on your iPhone by encrypting it, all these measures do not protect your SIM Card.
The only way to protect your SIM Card is to set up a SIM Card Lock on your iPhone. This will make your iPhone prompt for a SIM PIN, every time you start the phone. This will make it impossible for anyone to make a call or send text messages on your iPhone without entering the SIM PIN.
Set Up SIM Card Lock on iPhone
Before following the steps to set up SIM Card Lock on your iPhone, you need to know your current SIM PIN. You can usually find this information on the booklet that came with your SIM card and also on the Carriers website.
Most carriers use 1111, 1234 or 0000 as the default SIM PIN. However, it is highly recommended that you find out the exact PIN for your SIM Card, before trying the steps below. You will end up with a blocked SIM Card, in case you make 3 incorrect attempts to enter a SIM PIN.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings
2. Next, tap on Phone (See image below)
3. On the next screen, tap on SIM PIN
4. On the SIM PIN Screen, enable the option for SIM PIN by moving the slider to ON position (Green).
5. Once you Enable the option for SIM PIN, you will see a pop-up asking you to enter your current or default SIM PIN.
Note: You should be able to find the Default SIM PIN from your Carriers website or in the documents that came with your wireless plan.
6. Enter your Default SIM PIN and tap on Done
As mentioned above, do not try to guess your SIM PIN, your SIM card will get blocked or disabled in case you try an incorrect PIN three times.
7. Once you enter the correct default SIM PIN, SIM Card Lock will get activated on your iPhone.
Change Default SIM PIN
Now that you have enabled SIM Card Lock on iPhone, the next step is to change the default SIM PIN to a new 4 digit PIN, otherwise anyone having knowledge about the default SIM PIN for your Carrier will be able to access and make use of your SIM Card.
1. Tap on Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
2. On the SIM PIN screen, tap on the Change PIN link which you will see below the SIM PIN option (See image below)
3. First, enter the Current PIN (Default PIN) and tap on Done button from the top right corner of your screen.
4. Next, enter the New PIN and tap on Done.
5. Re-enter the New SIM PIN and tap on Done.
Now, every time you restart your iPhone or remove the SIM card, the SIM card will automatically get locked and you will see “Locked SIM” indicator in the status bar.
SIM Card Lock cannot prevent anyone from Swapping your SIM Card with a new one and using your iPhone. However, you will still get good value by enabling SIM Card lock, as it will protect the Data on your SIM Card and prevent anyone from misusing your SIM Card.