In case you are lost or unable to describe your current location to a friend, you can make use of the Location feature in the Messages App on your Android Phone to share your location. You will find below the steps to share your Location Using Text Message on Android Phone.
Share Your Location on Android Phone Using Text Message
As you must be aware, it is possible to Share your Location on Google Maps with anyone. This can be convenient, in case you are already in Google Maps and your car breaks down or when you are waiting in your car for someone.
Another convenient way to Share Your Location on Android Phone is to make use of the In-built Location Sharing feature in the default Messages App on your Android Phone. This can be convenient, in case the person that you want to send your location is already on your Contacts List.
Note: In case you are not using a stock Android Phone, Google’s Messages App may not be set as the default messaging App on your Android Phone.
In such a case, you will need to designate Google’s Messages App as your default Messaging App, before going ahead with the steps to Share your Location on Android Phone Using Text Message.
If the Messages App is not available on your Android Phone, you can download the Messages App from the Google Play Store on any Android Phone.
Steps to Share Your Location on Android Phone Using Text Message
1. Open the Messages app on your Android Phone.
Note: In case you have just installed the Messages app, make sure that Messages App is designated as the default Messaging App on your Android Phone. This is due to the fact that Android OS only allows one App to send text messages at a time.
2. Next, tap on the plus button (+) located at the bottom right side of your screen to start a New Message.
Note: You can also open an existing Message and go from there.
3. On the new message screen, type the Name of the Contact that you want to send your location to and then tap on the Plus Icon located to the left of the Message box (See image below)
4. You will see a bunch of icons appearing below the message box, scroll down the list of icons and tap on the Location icon (See image below)
5. You will be prompted to Allow the Messages App to access your current location. Tap on the Allow option and wait for your Android Phone to bring up your current location on a Map (this will take few seconds).
6. Once your Current Location appears on the screen of your Android Phone, tap on Select this location to add it to the Message (See image below).
Note: In case the location is incorrect or does not have sufficient details, you can swipe up to show a list of nearby locations.
7. Next, add your Message (if any) and then tap on the Send button to send your Location to your Contact.
Once the Message is sent, your Contact will be able to see your location details and come to your rescue. All that your Contact needs to do is just tap on the link in the message, and it will automatically open in Google Maps in Navigation Mode.