Do you really need SquareTrade Warranty for iPhone or iPad, in addition to the Standard one year Warranty that comes naturally with the purchase of an iOS device from Apple?
In order to answer this question, we need to understand as to what is actually covered by Apple’s standard one year Warranty, and explore whether purchasing an additional Warranty from SquareTrade is worth the effort and the money spent.
Apple’s 12 Month Warranty – What Does it Cover
Here is a paragraph from Apple’s Warranty terms and conditions that more or less describes as to what is actually covered by Apple’s Limited One Year Warranty for iPhone and iPad.
Apple Inc……warrants the Apple-branded iPhone, iPad or iPod hardware product and accessories contained in the original packaging (“Apple Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple’s published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR … – apple.com
Going by our understanding, Apple’s one year warranty is similar to other reputed manufacturers and it basically covers you for problems that can be attributed to a defect in manufacturing or parts.
Apple’s Limited Warranty does not apply in case your iPhone or iPad suffers accidental damage due to a fall, water spill or starts malfunctioning due to any reason after a period of 12 months from the date of purchase.
SquareTrade Warranty For iPhone and iPad
SquareTrade Warranty for iPhone and iPad is designed to cover risks that are not covered by Apple’s Limited 12 months warranty – Accidental drop, fall or Damage due to Water or liquid spills.
Also, the coverage in case of SquareTrade Warranty runs in parallel with manufacturer’s warranty and continues even after Apple’s Warranty period expires.
1. Accidental Drops: It is not uncommon for the shiny iPhone or iPad to be accidentally dropped, resulting in a cracked screen, broken case or damage to internal components.
2. Water Damage: While it is not very common for an iPhone or iPad to be dropped into a swimming pool or a bath tub, such accidents do happen.
Also, the rising habit of interacting with our devices while having lunch, breakfast or dinner can potentially expose your iPhone/iPad to water or liquid spills.
3. Touch Screen Failure: Any problem or malfunctioning of the touch screen that makes the device unusable is covered by SquareTrade.
4. Home Button Failure: You are covered in case the home button on your iPhone or iPad becomes non responsive and stops functioning during the period of your coverage.
5. Battery Failure: In case the battery of your iPhone or iPad is unable to hold charge or drains too quickly, you are covered by Square Trade’s Warranty and protection plan for iPhone or iPad.
6. Charging Port Failure: In comparison to other devices, the charging ports on iPhone and iPad suffer less damage due Apple’s well designed lightning cable. However, SquareTrade Protection Plan has you covered in case the charging port of your iPhone or iPad is damaged.
Cancel or Transfer Any Time
Good thing about getting a Warranty from SquareTrade is that you can cancel the warranty at any time and without providing a reason.
The refund is 100% in case you decide to cancel the Square Trade warranty within the first 30 days. After 30 days, SquareTrade refunds you on a pro-rated basis.
Also, SquareTrade Warranty for iPhone and iPad is fully transferable, you will be able to transfer the Warranty to the new owner, in case you decide to sell or gift your device.
What is Not Covered By SquareTrade Warranty
It is important to note that SquareTrade Warranty and protection plan for iPhone and iPad does not provide you with coverage in case your device is lost, stolen or damaged due to misuse.
As mentioned on SquareTrade’s website, providing coverage for theft and loss would have made the SquareTrade Warranty way more expensive and unattractive for most of its customers.
Hence, SquareTrade has focused on providing quality coverage for the most likely causes of damage (Falls, drops, spills), at most affordable rates as compared to its competitors.
It makes all the sense to go with SquareTrade, considering its solid reputation, transparent business model and the level of coverage that SquareTrade provides at such competitive rates.
Square Trade Warranty For iPhone is available at Amazon