Although, there are no physical buttons on AirPods or the Charging Case, it is possible to Turn OFF AirPods and extend their battery life.
Turn OFF AirPods To Save Battery Life
Unlike wired earphones which can draw power from iPhone, AirPods run on their own battery power and need to be recharged from time to time.
While AirPods get automatically paused when you take them out of the ear, they are still switched ON and using battery life.
Hence, we are providing below two different methods to extend the battery life of AirPods by switching them off, while they are not actively being used.
1. Switch OFF AirPods While Not in Charging Case
While they are not listening to music, most users remove AirPods and put them in some place.
However, removing the AirPods from your ears only Pauses the AirPods and does not turn them OFF.
Fortunately, you can enable the ‘Ear-Detection’ feature to protect against loss of battery life due to this common habit.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone and tap on Bluetooth.
2. On the next screen, make sure Bluetooth is switched ON > scroll down to ‘My Devices’ section and tap on the (i) icon located next to Your-AirPods.
3. On the next screen, enable Automatic Ear Detection option by moving the toggle to ON position.
Note: Your AirPods are not connected to iPhone, if you only see ‘Forget Device’ option on this screen.
Once, Ear Detection feature is enabled on iPhone, your AirPods will automatically switch off when you are not wearing them and they are out of the charging case.
2. Configure Double Tap to Turn OFF AirPods
If you constantly wear AirPods all day long, you can configure the double-tap feature to switch AirPods OFF, when you double tap on them.
1. Go to Settings > tap on Bluetooth.
2. On the Bluetooth screen, tap on (i) icon located next to Your-AirPods.
3. On the next screen, select either Left or the Right AirPod.
4. On the next screen, tap on the OFF option.
After this, you will be able to Turn OFF the Left AirPod by double-tapping on it.