If your iPhone is showing “This iPhone is disabled” message, you won’t be able to access your device. You can find below 3 different methods to Unlock Disabled iPhone using a computer (PC or Mac).
Unlock Disabled iPhone
iPhone gets temporarily disabled when you enter an incorrect password multiple times to unlock the device. If more incorrect password attempts are made, it gets permanently disabled.
This security feature on iPhone is designed to prevent unauthorized access to your Lost or Stolen device and to discourage anyone from trying to guess the Lock Screen Passcode for your iPhone.
If iPhone gets permanently disabled, the only way to gain access to a disabled iPhone is by erasing its Lock Screen Passcode and unfortunately this can only be done by erasing the entire data on your iPhone.
Once the Lock Screen Passcode is erased, your iPhone won’t be able to prompt you to enter the Password and you will be able to gain access to your device.
1. Unlock Disabled iPhone Using iCloud
If Find My iPhone feature is enabled on your iPhone, you can follow the steps below to erase Lock Screen Passcode and unlock your disabled device using iCloud.
1. Using Mac/PC or another phone, visit iCloud.com and Sign-in to your iCloud Account.
2. Once you are in iCloud, click on Apps Icon located at top-right corner and select Find My Icon in Apps menu.
3. When prompted, enter your Apple ID Password to Sign-in to “Find My iPhone” service.
4. On the next screen, click on All Devices and select your iPhone in the drop-down.
5. On the next screen, select Erase iPhone option to Erase all the data from your device.
6. When prompted, enter your Apple ID password and wait for the Reset Process to be completed. Once the Reset Process is completed, you will find your device restarting with “Hello” screen.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions, until you reach ‘Apps & Data’ Screen and select Set up as New iPhone option.
8. Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete the setup process and set a New Password for your iPhone.
2. Unlock Disabled iPhone Using Recovery Mode
If you have a MacBook or a Windows computer with iTunes installed on it, you can follow the steps below to unlock your disabled iPhone using Recovery Mode.
1. Connect iPhone to computer using its charging cable.
2. Open the Finder on your Mac (macOS Catalina or higher). If you are using an earlier version of macOS or Windows PC, Open iTunes (If iTunes is already open, close iTunes and open it again).
3. Next, follow the steps below to enter Recovery Mode as applicable for your model of iPhone.
iPhone 8 and later: Press and release Volume UP button > Press and release Volume Down button > Next, Press and hold the Side button (Power Button), until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
iPhone 7/7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them, until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
iPhone 6 or earlier: Press and hold Home and Side (Power) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them, until you see the Recovery Mode Screen (iTunes Logo and Cable)
Note: Do not release the button as you see iPhone starting with Apple Logo. Continue holding down the button, until you see Recovery Mode Screen.
4. Restore iPhone Using iTunes
Once your device enters recovery mode, you will see a pop-up allowing you to either Update or Restore your device.
Since, you are trying to Erase the Passcode, select the Restore option.
Patiently wait for your computer to download the lateset version of iOS on your device. If the download is taking longer than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, allow the download to finish and repeat step 3.
5. Setup iPhone Using Backup or As New Device
After the Restore process is completed, you will find iPhone starting with the ‘Hello’ screen.
Follow the on-screen instructions, until you reach ‘Apps & Data’ Screen and select Set up as New iPhone option.
Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete the setup process and set a New Passwcode for your device.
3. Unlock Disabled iPhone Using DFU Mode Restore
If you are unable to put iPhone in Recovery Mode, you can try to Unlock iPhone using DFU Mode.
DFU Mode will erase all the data on your iPhone, including its Lock Screen Passcode and provide you with the option to restore your device as New iPhone.
The steps to put iPhone into DFU Mode vary, depending the model of your iPhone and can be found in this guide: How to Enter DFU Mode on iPhone.