Google Drive makes it really easy to store and access files stored on its Cloud servers across multiple devices and from any place in the world where you can get hold of an internet connection. In this post we will be showing you how easy it is to upload files and folders to Google Drive and even edit certain files from within Google Drive.
Upload Files to Google Drive
You can upload just about any type of file to Google Drive, including images, videos, text documents, PDF Files, Microsoft Office files like Word, Excel, Power point files and more.
Once you upload any file to Google Drive, you will be able to Access, Manage, and Share these files from anywhere on any device.
1. Login to your Google Drive account using your Google ID (email address) and password.
2. Click on the New button (See image below).
3. Next, click on File upload from the drop-down menu (See image above).
4. Once you click on File upload, you will be able to locate and select files for upload from your desktop or any other location on your computer.
5. Locate the file on your computer that you want to upload to Google Drive and click on it
6. The selected file will be uploaded to Google Drive and will show up immediately on Google Drive. Larger files might take a while to show up on Google Drive, depending on the file size and the speed of your internet connection.
Note: Your computer may allow you to upload files by dragging the files from any location on your computer into Google Drive.
Upload Folders to Google Drive
In case you have a Chrome browser, you can upload folders to Google Drive. The option to upload folders is not available on other browsers.
1. Using Google Chrome browser, login to your Google Drive account using your Google ID and password.
2. Click the New button, then select Folder upload.
3. Locate the folder on your computer that you want to upload to Google Drive.
4. Select the folder and click OK.
5. The folder and all files within this folder will be uploaded to Google Drive.
Editing Files on Google Drive
Google Drive is not just a cloud storage service, you can use it as your personal work space and carry out edits to your Microsoft Word and Excel documents directly in Google Drive.
In order to Edit Files on Google Drive, you will first need to convert the files to Google Documents format. Excel Files will be converted to Google Sheet Format and Word converted to Google Doc format.
1. Locate the file that you want to edit on Google Drive.
2. Right Click on the File then click on Open With followed by Google Sheets (See image below).
3. The file will open in Google Sheet Format, which is Google’s version for Excel like Spreadsheets. You can carry to all the edits and save the file (the file will be saved in Google Sheet Format).
4. If you go back to Google Drive, you will see both Original Excel files and the edited file in the Google Sheet Format.
5. You can download the edited Google Sheet File to your computer at any time – It will be converted back to Microsoft Excel format.