If the search function is not working on your computer, you will find below the steps to fix the problem of Windows 10 Search Not Working.
Windows 10 Search Not Working
Windows 10 features a robust search function that allows you to search for files and folders directly from the search bar located next to the start button in the taskbar.
However, some users have reported about the search function in Windows 10 becoming unresponsive, especially after installing an update.
When Windows 10 search stops working, it becomes totally unresponsive and you won’t be able to type the search terms.
If Windows 10 search is not working on your computer, you should be able to fix the problem using one of the following methods.
1. Restart Computer
The simplest and one of the most commonly used troubleshooting method is to Restart the computer.
It is recommended that you try this solution first, before moving to other ways of fixing this problem.
2. Install Updates
The problem of Taskbar Search not working in Windows 10 could be due to updates not being installed or updates waiting to be installed on your computer.
1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
2. Click on Check for Updates button and install the Updates (if available).
3. Restart Windows Explorer
Restarting Windows Explorer is known to help in fixing Windows Search problem.
1. Right click on the Start button and click on Task Manager.
2. On the Task Manager screen, right-click on Windows Explorer and click on the Restart option.
This will refresh and restart Windows Explorer on your Computer. After this, try to use the Search bar on your computer and see if it is now working.
4. Use Windows Troubleshooter
Windows Search & Indexing Troubleshooter can be trusted to fix Windows Search related problems on your computer.
1. Open Settings > click on Update & Security.
2. On Update & Security screen, click on Troubleshoot in the left-pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Search & Indexing > Run the troubleshoot button.
3. On the next screen, select Files don’t appear in search results and other items that apply and click on the Next button.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions as Windows tries to fix Search and Indexing related problems on your computer.
5. Restart Windows Search Service
The problem of Windows 10 Taskbar Search not working on your computer could be due to Windows Search Service becoming glitchy or being stuck.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on Run.
2. In the Run Command window, type services.msc and click on OK.
3. On the Services screen, right-click on Windows Search and click on Restart.
Note: If Windows Search Service is not running, click on the Start option.
Close the services screen and see if Windows Taskbar Search is now working on your computer.
6. End Stuck Cortana Search Process
The problem of Windows 10 search not working on your computer might be due to Cortana being stuck on some task and unable to come out of it.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on Task Manager.
2. On Task Manager screen, select the Processes tab > scroll down and right-click on Cortana and select End Task option.
This will end all the tasks that Cortana was trying to performing, making it ready and available for the search function.
7. Rebuild Windows Search Index
In rare cases, the manner in which Windows 10 indexes Files and Folders can lead to break down or corruption of the Search Index.
In such a case, you may want to take the time consuming option to Rebuild the Search Index on your computer and see if this helps in fixing the problem.
Note: Deleting and Re-building Windows Search Index can impact the search experience on your computer, until the Search Index becomes fully operational.
1. Go to Settings > Search > click on Searching Windows in the left-pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Advanced Search Indexer Settings.
2. On the next screen, click on the Advanced button.
3. On Advanced Options screen, click on the Rebuild button.
4. On the confirmation pop-up, click on OK to confirm.
Patiently wait for Windows to rebuild the Search Index on your computer.
8. Disable Antivirus Software
If above solutions did not help, the problem might be due to the Antivirus software installed on your computer.
To confirm, disable the Antivirus Software on your Computer and see if this helps in fixing Windows Taskbar Search.
If the problem is due to Antivirus software, make sure that you are using the latest version of Antivirus Software Program on your computer.