After the iOS 10 update, your iPhone has acquired the ability to type in multiple languages simultaneously and without switching to a different keyboard. You will find below the steps to setup your iPhone to type in Multiple Languages and also the steps to use the Multilingual Keyboard on your iPhone.
Multilingual Typing Support in iPhone
In this multicultural World, it is common to see some people using two languages within the same sentence. For example, someone from Korean or Arabic background might begin a sentence in English and switch to Korean or Arabic in the middle of a sentence and switch back to English to complete the sentence.
This habit extends while sending messages on iPhone and people with multilingual background often intermix words from their second language with English in their messages.
In order to make it easy for Multilingual speakers, Apple has added the Multilingual Typing feature in iOS 10 update, making it easy to type in two or more languages.
Once your iPhone is setup for Multilingual Typing, the autocorrect function will understand that you are typing in another language and it won’t bother you by trying to correct the words that you are typing in another language.
You may even be able to add dictionary support for other languages and expect your iPhone to offer perfectly valid dictionary and next word suggestions in most other languages.
Setup Your iPhone to Type in Multiple Languages
Follow the steps below to setup your iPhone to Type in Multiple languages.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings.
2. Next, tap on General.
3. On the General screen, scroll down and tap on Keyboard.
4. On the next screen tap on Keyboards.
5. On the Keyboards screen, tap on Add New Keyboard.
6. On Add New Keyboard screen you will find Keyboards in most major languages of the world – English, French, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Korean and more. Simply tap on the Language that you would like to add the Keyboard for.
7. Depending on the Language that you had selected, you may be required to select a specific type of Keyboard for that language and tap on Done.
Once you tap on Done, the new Keyboard will be added to your iPhone and you are all setup to enjoy Multilingual Typing on your iPhone.
How to Use Multilingual Keyboard On iPhone
Once the Keyboards for Multiple Languages are setup on your iPhone, it becomes really easy to type in Multiple Languages while using any Messaging or Social Media Apps on your iPhone.
1. Open any Messaging app on your iPhone (For example WhatsApp).
2. Select the WhatsApp Contact that you would like to send a Multilingual Message to.
3. On the next screen, tap on the Message Box to bring up the Keyboard – Most likely, you will find the English Keyboard coming up (See image below).
4. Start typing your Message in English and at any time you can switch to another language by tapping on the World icon (See image above)
5. Similarly, you can switch back to English at any time by tapping on the World Icon
The support for Multilingual Typing on iPhone is not just limited to two languages, you can select Keyboards for more than two languages.
The same steps as listed above are applicable for typing in three or more languages – Just tap the World Icon two times to bring up the third language.