There are many users who prefer using an Ethernet cable, whenever there is an option to do so (Home/Work). Hence, let us take a look at whether it is possible to make your computer Turn OFF its WiFi network, whenever an Ethernet cable is connected to it.
Turn OFF WiFi When Ethernet Cable is Connected
When you connect an Ethernet cable to a Windows 10 computer, it automatically connects to the internet using Ethernet connection, instead of using the WiFi Network.
However, the WiFi network still remains open on your computer and you will have to manually turn off the WiFi Network, in case you do not want both WiFi and Ethernet being active on your computer.
Depending on the type of Network adapter on your computer, it is quite possible to automate this process and make your Windows 10 computer turn OFF WiFi automatically whenever it is connected to an Ethernet cable.
Let us take a look at How to Turn OFF WiFi automatically whenever your computer is connected to an Ethernet cable.
Note: The steps provided below work only if the Network Adapter on your computer supports this feature in Windows 10.
Automatically Turn OFF WiFi When Ethernet Cable is Connected in Windows 10
Make sure that your computer is connected to a WiFi Network and then follow the steps below to automatically Turn OFF WiFi whenever your Windows 10 computer is connected to an Ethernet cable.
1. Right-click on the Wireless icon in the system tray and then click on Open Network and Sharing Center option in the little menu that appears (See image below).
2. On the Network and Sharing Center screen, click on the active Wireless Network Connection on your computer (See image below).
3. On the next screen, click on the Wireless Properties button to access the WiFi Properties screen.
4. On the WiFi Properties screen, click on the Configure button located below the Wireless Adapter (See image below).
5. On the next screen, click on the Advanced tab and then select Disable Upon Wired Connect option in the property box and set its value to Enable in the Value Field (See image below).
From now on, whenever you connect an Ethernet cable to your Computer, it will automatically turn off the WiFi Network.
Note: If the “Disable Upon Wired Connect” option is not available on your computer, it is likely that the Network Adapter on your computer does not support this feature.