It is easy to prevent people from sending you unwanted messages by using the blocking feature in the Messages App on iPhone. You will find below the steps to Block Someone on iMessage on iPhone or iPad.
Block Someone On iMessage on iPhone
Before going ahead with the steps to Block Someone on iMessage, you need to be aware that the blocking feature on iPhone works in a global way.
This means that once you block someone on iMessage, the blocked person won’t be able to contact you using iMessage, SMS Text Message, Phone calls or FaceTime calls.
Blocked Contacts will still show up on your Contacts List. This will allow you to unblock a Contact, in case you decide to do so.
The steps to Block Someone on iMessages vary, depending on whether the person that you want to block is listed in your Contacts List or an Unknown Sender or Spammer.
You will find below the steps to block both known and unknown senders on iMessage.
1. Steps to Block Someone on iMessage on iPhone
This method to Block Someone on iMessage works for both known and unknown senders on iPhone.
1. Open the Messages App on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Conversation of the person that you want to block on iMessage.
3. On the next screen, tap on Name of the person and tap on the info Icon in the expanded menu.
4. On Details screen, tap on the Name of person again.
5. On the next screen, scroll down and tap on Block this caller option.
6. If prompted, tap on Block Contact to confirm
The selected Contact will be immediately added to the Block List on your iPhone and won’t be able to send you text messages, make Calls or FaceTime you on iPhone.
2. Mute Conversations in Messages App on iPhone
In case you do not want to go to the extent of blocking someone on iMessage, you can Mute Conversations from this particular Contact in iMessage.
1. Open the Messages App on your iPhone or iPad
2. Swipe left on the Conversation that you want to Mute and tap on Hide Alerts option.
Now, all the conversations from this particular Contact will be muted.
At any time, you can always go back to the conversation, swipe-left and tap on Show Alerts option to unmute this particular conversation.
3. Unblock Someone on iMessage
If you change your decision or end up blocking someone by mistake on iMessage, you can follow the steps below to Unblock Someone on iMessage.
1. Open Settings > scroll down and tap on Messages.
2. On the Messages screen, scroll down and tap on Blocked Contacts.
3. On the Blocked screen, tap on Edit option located at the top-right corner of your screen.
4. Next, tap on red minus “–” icon and tap on Unblock option.
5. Tap on Done to save this change on your iPhone.
This will immediately remove the Caller from the Block List on your iPhone and you will be able to receive Calls, iMessages and SMS Text messages from this Contact of yours.