In case required, it is really easy to change the display language on an Android phone or tablet. Android is currently the worlds most popular operating system for mobile devices, it supports multiple languages in order to appeal to its wide user base spread all over the world.
Why Change Display Language
You may want to change the display language on an Android phone or tablet, in case the device that you just received by home delivery is in a language that you are not familiar with. For example your Android device ordered from a China based online shopping website might be speaking to you in Mandarin.
Likewise, users based in South America, Middle East, Japan and France might prefer to change the display language from English to Spanish, Arabic, Japanese or French.
Luckily, it is not difficult to change the display, keyboard and voice searching languages on Android devices.
Change Display Language On Android Phone or Tablet
Follow the steps below to change the display language on your Android phone or tablet.
1. From the home screen of your Android phone or tablet, tap on Settings.
Tip: Look for the Gear icon, in case you are unable to understand the language displayed by your Android device.
2. Next, tap on Language & input
Tip: Look for the Globe sign, in case your Android device is set to display the Settings Menu in another language that you do not understand. (See image below)
3. Tap on Language
Tip: In case you are looking at another language, this will be the first option on the “Language & input” screen.
4. Select your language from the list of languages that you will see arranged alphabetically.
This should be easy, as you will be looking at each language option in its own native format. Hence, it will be easy for you to choose your desired language displayed in its own native version.
Once you select the desired language in Step 4 above, you will be taken back to the Language Input Screen. On this screen you will be able to see and confirm that the display language has been changed on your Android Phone or tablet.
Change Keyboard Language
You will be interacting with your keyboard a lot. Hence, it is important to make sure that the Keyboard input is set to the language that you understand.
1. Tap on the Settings app.
2. Tap on Language & input – You will see this under Personal section
3. Under Keyboard and input methods, tap on Google Keyboard
4. Tap on Languages
Make sure that Use System Language option is turned off. In case it is on you can turn it off by simply tapping on the option. (See image below)
5. Finally, Tap on the language that you would like to set for the Keyboard under Active input Methods
Change Voice Input
Another way of interacting with your Android Phone or tablet is by using voice inputs. Follow the steps below to change the Voice input language on your Android device.
1. Open up the Settings on your Android phone
2. Tap on Language & Input
3. Tap on Voice input under speech section (See image below)
4. Next, tap on the gear icon next to Enhanced Google Services
5. Tap on Languages
6. On the next screen, Tap on the language that you would like to use for speech input. On this section you can even select multiple languages.
7. Once selected tap on Save to save your changes. (See image above)
What You Need to Know
Changing display language changes the language for system menus, app drawer and Google related apps like Maps, Photos and Google Now.
Third-party apps installed on your Android phone or tablet may or may not follow the change in language settings. Some apps may require you to change language settings from within the app and some apps may not support change in language settings.