If you are interested in installing APK Files and App from unknown sources, you need to enable the option to Install Apps from unknown sources on your Android Phone.
Install Apps From Unknown Sources
By default, most Android Phones allow installation of Apps only from Google Play Store and give a warning or error message when you try to install Apps from other sources.
The warning message reading “For your security, your phone is not allowed to install unknown apps from this store” is designed to discourage users from installing Apps from untrusted sources.
While it is safer to stick to apps from Google Play Store, there will always be a need to install Apps or APK Files from other trusted sources.
For example, if you are looking to install WhatsApp on Android tablet, you need to download an APK File directly from WhatsApp.
Since, WhatsApp is a known website, you can safely enable the option to Install Apps from Unknown sources on your device.
1. Install Apps from Unknown Sources on Android Oreo
On newer Android Phones running Android Oreo or later version, you can follow the steps below to allow installation of Apps from unknown sources on your Android Phone.
1. Open Settings on your Android Phone and tap on Apps & notifications.
2. On the Apps screen, tap on 3-dot menu icon and select Special access option in the drop-down menu.
3. On Special Access screen, select Install Unknown apps option.
4. On the next screen, select Chrome from the list of Apps > toggle ON Allow from this source option.
After this, you will be able to install Apps and APK Files from any Third Party website using the Chrome browser on your Android device.
2. Install Apps from Unknown Sources on Other Android Versions
On older Android Phones and devices with specific UI, the method to install Apps from unknown sources can be different.
1. Open Settings and tap on Security (May appear as Security & Privacy).
2. On the next screen, enable installation of Apps from Unknown Sources by moving the toggle to ON position.
3. On the warning pop-up, tap on OK to confirm.
Note: Once you are done installing the Third Party App, make sure that you disable the option to install Apps from Unknown Sources on your device.