Your IP Address is a unique series of numbers assigned to identify your computer or phone on the internet. If required, you can Change Your IP Address using a number of methods as provided below.
Change Your IP Address on Computer and Phone
Every device that connects to the internet is assigned a unique identification number, which is known as its IP Address (Internet Protocol Address).
Just like a Postal or ZIP Code identifies your actual physical location on earth, an IP Address identifies the location of your computer, phone or tablet on the internet.
While IP Address is usually used by websites to direct information to your computer, it can also be used to block your computer and prevent it from accessing the website or its restricted services.
For example, you won’t be able to access Netflix USA content, while you are travelling and your computer or phone is located outside the geographical boundaries of United States.
In such cases, most people use a VPN service to hide their real IP Address and connect to the internet using an alternate IP Address provided by the VPN service provider.
If you only want to change your IP Address to fix network problems or bypass firewalls, you can easily change your IP Address by using other methods as provided below.
1. Switch Networks
The simplest way to Change your IP Address is to connect to the internet using a different network.
For example, if you are currently using Home WiFi Network, you can change your IP Address by switching to Cellular Network.
2. Switch OFF Modem/Router
Another easy way to change your IP Address is by switching OFF Power Supply to your Modem/Router and switching it back on again after 5 minutes.
In most cases, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will assign a New IP Address to your Router as it has been disconnected from the internet.
However, it is better to confirm this by typing “What is My IP” in Chrome or any other web browser that you are using on your computer.
First, check your IP Address before switching OFF the Power supply to Router and check IP Address again after restoring the Power supply to Router.
Tip: If the IP Address has not changed, you need to leave the Router unplugged for a longer time.
3. Change IP Address on Mac
You can manually change the last two digits of your IPV4 address at any time on your Mac by following the steps below.
This changes your IP Address completely, which should help you unblock your IP Address and bypass firewalls.
1. Click on the Apple Logo in top-menu bar and select System Preferences in the drop-down.
2. On System Preferences screen, click on the Network Tab.
3. On the next screen, select your Network in the side menu and click on Advanced.
4. On the next screen, select TCP/IP tab > switch Configure IPv4 to Manually option.
After this, copy the Router IP Address to IPv4 Address field and replace only the last two digits with any number of your choice (Between 1 & 255).
Note: The first 3 number sets in your IP Address need to be same as that of your Router IP Address.
4. Change IP Address on iPhone or iPad
Similarly, you can change the last two digits of your IPv4 address on your iPhone or iPad.
1. Go to Settings > WiFi > tap on the “i” Icon next to your WiFi Network Name.
2. On the next screen, copy your Router IP Address, Subnet Mask and tap on Configure IP option under “IPV4 Address section.
3. On the next screen, select the Manual option and enter Router IP Address, Subnet Mask Address. and your New IP Address.
As mentioned above, the first 3 number sets in your IP Address need to match with your Router IP Address.
Hence, the easiest way to enter your New IP Address is to copy the Router IP Address in the IP Address Field and replace only the last number set with any number between 1 & 255.
5. Change IP Address on Android Phone or Tablet
Most Android Phones make it easy to modify IPV4 address by changing the last two digits of your IP Address.
1. Go to Settings > WiFi > tap on your Current Network.
2. Navigate to Advanced > DHCP and tap on Static.
3. On the next screen, change only the last two digits of your current IP Address.
4. Make sure you tap on Save to save this change on your device.
6. Change Your IP Address On Windows Computer
Before going ahead with the steps to change your IP Address on a Windows computer, you need to note down your Router IP Address (Default Gateway Entry) and the Subnet Mask Address.
Open Command Prompt > Type ipconfig/all and press the Enter key.
Once the command is executed, scroll down the list of entries and note down your Router IP Address and Subnet mask address.
After finding Router IP and Subnet Mask Address, you can follow the steps below to change your IP Address on a Windows computer.
1. Open Settings on your computer and click on Network & Internet.
2. Select your Network Type (WiFi or Ethernet) in the left-pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Change Adapter options link under “Related Settings”.
3. On the next screen, right-click on your active Network (WiFi or Ethernet) and click on Properties.
4. On the next screen, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
5. On IPv4 properties screen, select Use the following IP Address option and enter Default Gateway (Router IP Address), Subnet mask address, New IP Address and click on OK.
Note: To enter New IP Address copy the Default Gateway entry and change only the last two numbers.
The first 3 number sets in the New IP Address Field need to be the same as your Router IP Address or Default Gateway entry.
7. Hide IP Address Using VPN
If the reason for changing your IP Address is to access restricted services or by-pass surveillance, you need to use a VPN service.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) completely hides your IP Address from the Internet and allows you to connect to the Internet using a different IP Address as assigned by the VPN service provider.