If you end up with a misplaced, lost or stolen iPhone, you can find below the steps to remotely disable Apple Pay on your iPhone.
Disable Apple Pay When iPhone is Lost
If your iPhone is lost or stolen, there is always the possibility of your personal data being misused and your Apple Pay account being used to make unauthorized purchases.
Hence, Apple provides the option to disable Apple Pay and prevent your personal data from being misused by remotely erasing the data from your iPhone.
If your lost iPhone has personal data & photos along with Apple Pay, you can prevent your personal data and Apple Pay account from being misused by remotely erasing all the data from your device.
If you are only concerned about your Apple Pay account being misused, Apple provides the option to remove credit cards linked to your Apple Pay account.
1. Remotely Disable Apple Pay Using iCloud
Since, you do not have access to your iPhone, you can use your MacBook, Windows PC or another phone to login to your iCloud account and disable Apple Pay.
1. Go to icloud.com and Sign-in to your iCloud Account by entering your Apple ID and Password.
2. Once you are in iCloud, click on Apps Icon located at top-right corner and select Find My Icon in Apps menu.
3. When prompted, enter your Apple ID Password to Sign-in to “Find My iPhone” service. On the next screen, click on All Devices and select your iPhone in the drop-down.
4. Once your device is selected, click on Lost Mode option and this will disable Apple Pay on your iPhone.
5. When prompted, enter your Apple ID password and wait for the Factory Reset Process to be completed.
To protect your photos and personal data, you can choose to erase all the data on your device by selecting erase iPhone option.
However, you need to be aware that you won’t be able to track your lost iPhone, once the data on your iPhone is erased.
Also, you won’t be able recover your data, unless you had previously made a backup of your iPhone to iCloud or to your computer.
If a backup is available, you will be able to recover all your data & photos by restoring your new iPhone from backup.
2. Remove Credit Cards Linked to Apple Pay Using Mac
If you are using a MacBook, you can remove credit cards linked to Apple Pay by going to app store on your Mac.
1. Open the App Store on your Mac > click on your Name or the Sign In button located at bottom-left corner.
2. If prompted, sign-in to App Store using your Apple ID and Passcode. Once you are Signed-in, click on your Profile Icon (bottom-left) and select View Information option.
3. On Account Information screen, click on Manage Payments option listed in “Apple ID Summary” section.
4. On the next screen, select the Edit option located next to your Payment Method.
5. On the next screen, click on Remove to remove your credit card information from your Apple ID.
3. Remove Credit Card Details from Apple ID Website
You can also remove credit card linked to Apple Pay by going to Apple ID website and logging into your Apple ID account.
1. Go to Apple ID website and Sign-in to your Apple ID Account by entering your Apple ID and Password.
2. Once you are signed-in, you may be prompted to answer two security questions.
3. On Apple ID screen, click on Payment Methods in the left-pane,
4. On Payment Methods screen, click on the Edit option located next to your Credit Card.
5. On the next screen, click on Remove to remove your Credit Card Information from Apple ID.