Google Play store installs apps directly on your device and does not allow you to download APK files. In this post we will show you how to download and install APK files directly from Google Play instead of going to third party sites.
Why APK Files Instead of apps
Here are some reasons as to why you may want to download APK files from Google Play, instead of directly downloading apps as most regular folks do.
1. Your Phone may be short on space, in which you are left with the option of downloading APK files for the apps on your computer (since you cannot download apps to a computer)
2. Some apps have country restrictions and you won’t be able to download them directly to your phone. In this case you can download APK files on your computer and install it on your device later.
3. You may be having problems downloading some apps to your phone or tablet.
4. You may want to create a collection of apps on your hard drive or cloud storage for use on your phone later, as and when needed.
5. You are a Geek and just want to explore additional ways of installing apps to your device.
Download APK Files From Google Play Using Chrome Extension
In this method you will be installing an APK Downloader Extension for Google Chrome browser as offered by codekiem.com to your computer.
First you need to download and install the Google Chrome browser on your computer. Go ahead and install Google Chrome on your computer, in case you haven’t already done it.
1. Open Google Chrome on your computer
2. Download APK Downloader EXTENSION for Google Chrome Store.
3. Click on +Add TO CHROME (see image below)
4. You will be presented with a ‘Confirm New Extension’ dialogue box – Click on ‘ADD‘ to add the APK Downloader Extension to the Chrome browser on your computer.
Google will confirm the addition of APK Downloader extension to chrome browser.
Android Device ID
Now that you have added the APK Downloader Extension to Chrome browser, you need to get hold of your Android Device ID of your Android Phone by following these steps.
1. Open Google Play Store (on your Android Phone)
2. Search for and Install Android Device ID app on your phone.
Simple app to get your Device Info/ID/local IP/MAC addresses & Serial that allow you to easily copy and share the ID of your mobile device.
3. Once the installation is complete, Launch the Android Device ID application on your phone by clicking on it.
4. Copy the 16 Digit alphanumeric GSF ID Key that you will see below Google Service Framework (GSF) heading – (see image below)
Login to Google Play From Your Computer
In this step you will be configuring the Google Chrome APK Downloader Extension with the required information that it required to login to your Google Play account.
1. Open Chrome browser on your computer (not the phone)
2. Click on the 3 line Wrench Icon (See image below) that you will see on the extreme right side of your computer.
3. Next Click on More Tools > followed by Extensions to launch the Google Chrome Extensions page
3. Locate APK Downloader Extension and click on the Options Link that you will see under the APK Downloader Extension. (See image below)
4. After Clicking on options in Step 3 above you will be taken to APK Downloader login window. Enter Your Email ID, Password and Android Device ID Key in the login window. The Email ID and password in this case will be the email and password that you use to login to Google Play Store.
5. Click on the Green Login Button that you will see at the end of the APK Downloader login screen.
Download APK Files From Google Play
Once you have completed the above steps, you are all set to download APK files directly from Google Play Store.
1. Visit Google Play Store (using Chrome browser on your computer)
2. Search for the app that you want the APK Files for.
3. Once the app page is open, click on APK Downloader ICON that you will see to the extreme right side of the address bar. (See image below)
4. APK file for the app will be downloaded to your computer.
Hope you will be able to download APK files for all your favourite free apps by following these steps. Please make sure that you are not sharing your Email ID, Password and Android Device ID with anyone.
Install APK Files From PC to Android Device.
Once you have downloaded the APK files to your computer you can start using the apps anytime on your mobile devices by Installing APK files from PC to your Android device.