A good way of allowing kids to spend quality time on an Android Phone or Tablet is to lock your device to a single app. This ensures that your kids spend quality time on an age appropriate or educational App and remain protected from inappropriate content.
Lock Android Tablet to One App
Introduced in Android 5.0, the Pin Windows feature in Android allows you to Lock your Android Phone or Tablet to a Single App.
This allows you to hand over your Android Phone or Tablet to kids, without worrying about Apps being deleted or kids being exposed to in-appropriate content.
To Lock Android Tablet to One App, you need to first enable the Pin Windows Option on your Android Device. After which you will be able to Lock Android Tablet to One App
So, let us go ahead and take a look at the steps to Lock Android Tablet to a single App.
1. Enable Pin Windows Feature On Phone or Tablet
Follow the steps below to Enable Pin Windows feature on your Android Phone or Tablet.
1.Open Settings > scroll down and tap on Lock Screen and Security or Biometrics & Security option.
2. On the next screen, scroll down and tap on Other Security Settings option.
3. On Other Security Settings screen, tap on Pin Windows option.
4. On Pin Windows screen, enable the option to Pin Windows by moving the slider to ON Position.
2. Setup Passcode for Screen Pinning Mode
The next step is to setup a Passcode for the Screen Pinning mode on your Android Phone or Tablet.
1. Go to Settings > Security > Other Security Options > Pin Windows option.
2. On the next screen, move the slider next to Ask for PIN before unpinning to ON position.
3. Lock Android Tablet or Phone to One App
After the Pin Windows feature is enabled on your Android device, you can Lock Android Phone or Tablet to Single App by following the steps below.
1. Open the App that you want to Lock your Android Phone or Tablet to.
For example, open WhatsApp to Lock your Android Phone or Tablet to this single App and prevent all other Apps from being used.
2. Next, tap on the Recent Apps button located at the bottom-left corner of your device.
3. On the App pop-up, tap on the App icon and tap on Pin this App option.
After this only WhatsApp will be allowed to open on your Android Device and all others Apps will be disabled.
4. Unpin an App on Android Tablet or Phone
After your kids have finished using your Android Tablet, you can unpin the App and take your device back to its normal mode.
1. Tap and Hold on Recent Apps and Back button at the same time.
2. If prompted, enter your Lock Screen Passcode to exit the Pinned Window and regain unrestricted or normal usage of your Android Phone or Tablet.