You can easily turn your smartphone into a Universal Remote control and get rid of multiple remote controls that you may have accumulated by adding accessories like DVD players, receivers, surround sound systems and others. This will also help you in case you have lost or misplaced a remote control for your TV or any other device.
Turn Samsung Smartphone Universal Remote Control
If you own a Samsung phone then you are in luck, you can use the Samsung WatchON app to turn your Samsung Smartphone into universal remote for your TV and its accessories. Here is how to use Samsung WatchON to turn your phone into a universal remote.
- Install the app on your Samsung device and open it. (if it’s not already installed)
- You will now have to fill out your country, zip code and TV service provider.
- Sign into your Samsung account or create one.
- Select your TV brand.
- Now the app will try to pair your TV with different codes and you will have to click the power button in the app to see which code works. The app will ask you to confirm the code that worked for your TV.
- Next, press add devices to add a DVD player, Blu-Ray player, set-top boxes, AV receiver, streaming media player and also an Air Conditioner.
You can even add multiple TV’s in other rooms of the house with the Samsung WatchON app.
Turn Any Android Phone into Universal Remote Control
For Android phones there are some good apps that will allow you to easily turn your smartphone into a universal remote control.
Remote Control for TV app: Remote Control for TV app allows your Android phone or a tablet to control almost all popular Smart TV’s. Here is how to use this free app.
- Install the app and open it.
- The app will search for TV’s on your internet network. (Make sure your smart TV is connected to the same internet connection as your smartphone)
- Next click on the TV that you want to control.
Android TV Remote: Android TV Remote app can can turn any Android smartphone into a remote for your Google TV box. The app even allows users to perform a voice search.
Smart IR Remote: The Smart IR Remote app works with over 800,000 devices ranging from TV’s, Blu-ray players to DSLR cameras. If it doesn’t work on your TV or other accessories you can ask the developers to add them (and they will)
The app works using Infra-red commands. On some devices the app even supports air gestures. For example if you swipe your hand over the phone you can change channels, the volume and other things.
This is a paid app available on Google Play for $7.99
Turn iPhone and iPad into Universal Remote Control
Next Guide Remote by Dijit: Next Guide Remote by Dijit is an app that allows you to control TV, DVD players, Xbox and many more devices from your iPhone, iPad & iPod touch. The downside of this app is that it only works with an accessory device called Beacon (costs about $80).
iRule: If you don’t want to spend $80 on a Beacon then you can download iRule. This app controls your devices via a Wi-Fi connection. The app works with TV’s, DVD players, window blinds and security cameras.
Zmart: Zmart allows you to control over 200,000 devices (TV’s, DVD players, Stereos and more). This app works with an additional $20 accessory that plugs into your Smartphone’s audio jack.
Turn Windows Phone into Universal Remote Control
Windows Phone users have limited apps that allow them to turn their smartphone into a remote for TV’s and accessories. So your options are limited if you are a Windows phone user.
Xbox One & Xbox 360 SmartGlass: With the Xbox One and Xbox 360 SmartGlass app all you can do is control your Xbox consoles. The app does not allow you to control other devices.
Unofficial Samsung Remote: The unofficial Samsung Remote lets you control a Smart Samsung TV thru your Windows phone. You can buy this app for $0.99.
We hope you enjoyed this article and were able to turn your smartphone into a universal remote.