You can easily turn your smartphone into a Universal Remote control and get rid of multiple remote controls for TV, DVD players, receivers, surround sound systems and others.
Turn Samsung Galaxy Phone into Universal Remote Control
If you own a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can make use of SmartThings App by Samsung Electronics to turn your Samsung Galaxy Phone into Universal Remote for your TV, DVD Player and others.
1. Open Google Play Store > Download SmartThings App on your phone.
2. Once the App is installed, open SmartThings > agree to its Privacy Policies and tap on Start.
3. On the pop-up, tap on Allow while using the App to provide SmartThings with access to your location.
4. The App will now start scanning for devices connected to your Home WiFi Network.
5. Select your TV as it appears in Smart App and follow the remaining instructions to finish the process.
Turn Any Android Phone into Universal Remote Control
For other Android phones, you can download and install the following Apps to turn your Smartphone into Universal Remote Control.
Remote Control for TV: Remote Control for TV App can turn any Android Phone or Tablet into a Universal Remote Control, which should work with most popular brand Televisions.
1. Open Google Play Store > Download Remote Control for TV App on your Android Phone.
2. Once the download is complete, open the App and it will automatically start searching for your Television (Make sure your smart TV is connected to the same internet connection as your smartphone)
3. Select your TV as it appears on your Android phone (within Smart Control for TV App).
Android TV Remote: Android TV Remote app can turn any Android smartphone into a remote for your Google TV box. The app even allows users to perform a voice search.
Smart IR Remote: The Smart IR Remote app works with over 800,000 devices ranging from TV’s, Blu-ray players to DSLR cameras. If it doesn’t work on your TV or other accessories you can ask the developers to add them (and they will).
The app works using Infra-red commands. On some devices the app even supports air gestures. For example, if you swipe your hand over the phone you can change channels, the volume and other things.
This is a paid app available on Google Play for $7.99
3. Turn iPhone into Universal Remote Control
If you are using an iPhone, you can make use of the following Apps to turn iPhone into Universal Remote Control.
Next Guide Remote by Dijit: Next Guide Remote by Dijit is an app that allows you to control TV, DVD players, Xbox and many more devices from iPhone, iPad & iPod touch.
The downside of this App is that it only works with a device known as Beacon (costs about $80).
iRule: If you don’t want to spend $80 on Beacon, you can download iRule. This app controls your devices via a WiFi connection. The app works with TV’s, DVD players, window blinds and security cameras.
Zmart: Zmart allows you to control over 200,000 devices (TV’s, DVD players, Stereos and more). This app works with an additional $20 accessory that plugs into your Smartphone’s audio jack.