Using the touch-screen and accessing Menus is difficult on an iPhone with broken screen. Hence, let us take a look at how to wipe data from an iPhone or iPad with broken screen.
Wipe Data From iPhone With Broken Screen
Until Apple comes up with a self healing iPhone, the only fix for an iPhone with a broken screen is to replace the broken screen. This usually means that you will have to leave your iPhone with a repair centre for a day or so.
Even though the technician at the repair centre maybe someone that you know and trust, leaving your iPhone with all your personal data is not advisable.
Hence, it is important that you remember to wipe the data on your iPhone before giving your iPhone for repair or throwing it away, in case it has become unrepairable.
Back Up Your iPhone
Before wiping the data on your iPhone, you may want to make a backup of your iPhone to your Mac or PC using iTunes.
1. Connect your iPhone to the USB port of your Mac or PC using its USB connector cable.
2. Start iTunes on your computer by clicking on the iTunes App Icon, in case it does not Automatically start.
3. First, click on iPhone Icon whenever it appears in iTunes to activate the Settings sidebar Menu (See image below)
4. Next, Click on the Summary Tab in the Side Menu and then scroll down to the Backup section on the right side of your screen (See image below)
5. Next, click on the Backup Now option located under the Backup section to start the process of making a Backup of your iPhone to your computer (See image below)
6. You may see a prompt asking you to Transfer Purchases.
Patiently Wait for iTunes to make a Backup of your iPhone on your Mac or PC. After your iPhone is repaired or you get a new iPhone, you will be able to transfer all your Data to the New or Repaired iPhone by Restoring iPhone from this backup.
Wipe iPhone Data Using iTunes
After making a backup of your iPhone, you can wipe the Data from your iPhone using the following steps
1. Connect your iPhone to the USB port of your Mac or PC using its supplied USB Cable.
2. Start iTunes on your computer by clicking on the iTunes Icon, in case it does not Automatically start.
3. Click on iPhone Icon whenever it appears in iTunes (See image below)
4. Next, click on the Summary tab in the side menu and then click on Restore iPhone… option (See image below)
Note: You will need to Disable Find My iPhone in order use iTunes to Restore your iPhone.
5. Click on the Restore button in the Pop-up to confirm that you do want to Restore your iPhone.
All the Data on your iPhone will be wiped out and you will be able to safely give this iPhone for repairs.
Whenever your iPhone is repaired or you buy a New iPhone, you can get back all the Data on your new or repaired iPhone by Restoring your iPhone using an iTunes Backup that you made before wiping your iPhone.
Wipe iPhone Data Using iCloud
Follow the steps below to Wipe the data on your iPhone using iCloud. As mentioned above, this methods works only if you previously set up Find My iPhone on your device.
1. On your Mac or PC Visit icloud.com and sign into your iCloud Account.
2. Once in iCloud, click on Find iPhone.
3. Next, click on the All Devices option located at the top of the screen and then click on your device (See image below).
4. Once your device is selected, click on the Erase iPhone option.
5. On the pop-up, click on Erase to confirm that you do want to Erase the Data on your iPhone.
Wipe Data Using Recovery Mode
In case your cracked iPhone has become completely unresponsive, you should be able to wipe its Data using Recovery Mode in iTunes. For this you can refer to this article: How To Put Your iPhone or iPad in Recovery Mode.