Over a period of time your iPhone can get clogged with junk items and unwanted cached files. You will find below the steps to Clear Cache on iPhone, in order to improve its performance.
Clear Cache on iPhone or iPad
Just like any other computing device, your iPhone can become slower as it gets clogged up with redundant cached files and other junk items.
Getting rid of these unwanted cached files can give a performance and speed boost to your device.
This is especially true in case of older models of iPhone and iPad, on which you can see a noticeable difference in performance, once the Cache is cleared.
On newer iPhones, clearing the Cache helps in freeing up memory, which leads to an improvement in the performance of your device.
So, let us go ahead and take a look at the steps to Clear Safari and App Cache on your iPhone or iPad.
1. Clear Safari Cache on iPhone or iPad
Whenever you visit websites using the Safari browser on iPhone, it invariably stores images, CSS, logos and other catchable data from those websites.
Over a period of time, this can often lead to accumulation of expired files and redundant data in Safari Cache.
1. Open Settings > scroll down and tap on Safari.
2. On the next screen, scroll down and tap on Clear History and Website Data option.
3. On the confirmation pop-up, tap on Clear History and Data to confirm.
This will clear all Cached Files, browsing history, cookies and other browsing data, stored by Safari browser on your iPhone.
After clearing Safari Cache, you will initially notice your favourite websites loading slower than normal.
However, things will quickly get back to normal and you will notice improved performance, when you visit those website the next time.
2. Clear App Cache on iPhone or iPad
Just like Safari browser, other Apps that you use on iPhone end up storing Sign-in Info, Message history and other App related data on your iPhone.
App Cache and other App related data is labeled as “Documents and Data” and this can easily be cleared by deleting the Apps and re-installing them back on your device.
1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
2. On iPhone Storage screen, scroll down and tap on the App storing the most amount of Data on your iPhone.
3. On the next screen, tap on Delete App located at the bottom of your screen.
4. On the confirmation pop-up, tap on Delete App option to conform.
5. After deleting the App, open the App Store on your iPhone and download and Install the App back again on your device.
Once the App is reinstalled, check the storage space taken up by the App by going to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > tap on the Reinstalled App (Snapchat in this case).
As you can see, the storage space taken up by Documents and Data has reduced considerably, going down from 95.7 MB to just 49 KB on the reinstalled App.
Similarly, you can go through other Apps listed on “iPhone Storage” screen and Clear App Cache (Documents and Data) generated by other Apps on your iPhone.
3. Restart iPhone or iPad to Clear Memory
One of the easiest way to clear memory on iPhone or iPad is to simply Restart your device.
This simple step has the potential to free up memory on your device by closing unnecessary processes and loops (if any).
1. Go to Settings > General > scroll down and tap on Shut Down.
2. Wait for your iPhone to fully Power down.
4. After 60 seconds, restart your iPhone by pressing the Power Button.
Restarting the device from time to time is particularly helpful on older models of iPhone and iPad.