In case required, you can easily delete unused User Accounts in Windows 10. Apart from reducing clutter, deleting unused User Accounts from a computer also helps in recovering the storage space taken up by those dormant User Accounts and might even make your computer a bit faster.
Delete User Accounts in Windows 10
In this article, we are showing you two ways of deleting User Accounts on a Windows 10 computer, so that you can use the one that best suits your own requirements.
As you will notice, deleting a User Account from the Control Panel offers you the option to save the User Account’s files in a separate folder named after the account name.
Note: In order to delete user accounts, you need to be logged in with your Admin account or logged in with an account that has administrator privileges.
Delete User Account Using Settings App
The easiest way of deleting a User Account in Windows 10 is via the Settings App. This method is suitable for quickly deleting user accounts that you no longer use.
1. Click on the Windows 10 Start button and click on Settings.
2. On the settings page, click on Accounts
3. On the Accounts screen, click On Family and other users.
4. Next, Click on a User account that you want to delete and then click on the Remove button (See image below).
5. You will see a popup asking you to confirm that you do want to delete this account. Click on Delete Account and data button to delete the selected user account.
As mentioned in the popup warning, all the data located in the User’s Desktop and data located in the users Folders like Downloads, Documents, Photos and Music will be lost, unless you have made arrangements to backup this data to Google Drive or a portable storage source.
Delete User Account Using Control Panel
Deleting a User Account via the Control Panel in Windows 10 is recommended in case you want to save the User Account’s Files to a folder on your computer. Windows 10 automatically offers the option to save User’s Files when you try to delete a User Account via the Control Panel.
1. Right click on the Windows 10 Start button and click on Control Panel.
2. On the Control Panel screen, make sure that you are in Category view and click on User Accounts (See image below)
Note: You can also access User Accounts Tab from Large or Small Icon Views in Control Panel, but the account delete options will be different.
3. On the next screen, click on Remove User Accounts link.
4. Next, click on the User Account that you would like to delete.
5. Once you click on the account that you want to delete, you will see a the screen below providing you with the option to “Keep user’s files” or to “Delete Users Files”. You can click on whichever option suits you better.
In case you click on the Keep Files button, Windows 10 will save the files from the Users desktop and will also save files found in Folders like Documents, Favorites, Videos, Music and Pictures to a new folder named after the User Account name.
After clicking Keep Files button to save the files, click on the Delete Account button to delete the selected user Account from your Windows 10 powered Computer.