Unlike regular Windows computers, Chromebooks cannot be directly connected to a printer. This inability of a Chromebook to connect to a printer is not a hardware issue, the Chrome OS simply does not offer the option to connect a printer to a Chromebook.
However, there is no reason to worry, it is really easy to print from a Chromebook, once you are set up to use the Cloud Print Technology offered by Google.
First The Pre-requisite
In order to use Google’s Cloud Print technology you need to have a printer that is registered with Google. You can skip this process in case you have already registered your printer to your Google Account.
If not, you need to go ahead and register your printer with Google by following these steps.
How to Register a Printer With Google
In order to register a printer with Google, you will need the following:
- Google Account (Your Gmail Account)
- Regular computer (Not a Chromebook)
- Printer Connected to a regular computer
To make this clearer to you, there is really no way to connect a Chromebook to a printer. Hence, you will need a regular Windows computer that is connected to a printer, in order to complete this step.
1. Log into a regular computer that is connected to a printer
3. Click on Settings (see image below)
4. On the Next Screen, Go to the bottom of page and click on Show Advanced settings. (see image below)
6. Next, Click on Add Printers.
6. You will be taken to the login page of your Google Account, in case you are not already logged in.
7. Login to your account using your user name and password
8. Next you will be redirected to Google’s Cloud Print site
9. Click on Add Printers (see image above)
Once you have registered a printer to your account, you are well set up to print anything from your Chromebook to your registered printer.
How to Register Cloud Ready Printer with Google
Chances are that you have a Cloud Ready printer; you can follow the steps below to register your Cloud Ready printer with Google.
1. Follow steps 1 to 9 from above section
2. Click on Manage your printers (see image in step 9 above)
3. Next click on Add a Cloud ready Printer from the menu (see image above)
4. You will be directed to a new page, locate your printer model and follow the steps indicated.
How to Print From Chromebook
Now that you have registered a printer to your Google Account you can print a document any time by following these steps.
- Open the document that you want to print on your Chromebook and use the Keyboard shortcut Ctrl + P. You will be presented with a print dialogue box.
- Click on the small link at the bottom of the screen that reads “Print With Google Cloud Print”.
- Next you will be presented with a Cloud Print dialogue which will show you the printers that you can print to and also the option to save to Google Drive.
- Select the printer that you want to print to and click print.
- Your file will be sitting ready on your printers output desk in pure physical form (paper and ink)
That was easy! You just need to accept that Chromebooks are a different breed of computers and they can only print using the Cloud Print technology.