The option to send Group Emails is available on your iPhone or iPad. However, what is still lacking in iOS is the native ability to create Contact Groups. In this post we are showing you a way to send Group Emails on iPhone or iPad by using a workaround to create Contact Groups right on your iPhone or iPad.
Create a Contact Group on iPhone or iPad
Instead of using iTunes to Create a new Contact Group we can create a Contact Group right on your iPhone or iPad by following the steps below.
1. Open the Contacts App on your iPhone/iPad.
2. Once you are in Contacts, tap on the (+) icon located at the top right corner of your screen to Create a New Contact (See image below)
3. You will see a screen, prompting you to Enter the First name, Last Name, Company and other info for your new Contact (See image below).
In this case, do not enter the First or the Last Name, instead enter the Group Name in the Company Field (See image below)
Note: We are calling the Contact Group as Group 1, you can give it any other name that suits you better.
4. After naming your Group, scroll down the screen till you see the Notes section (See image below)
5. In the Notes section, write all the email addresses that you want to send the Group email to. The email addresses need to be written in a specific pattern (<email address1>, <email address2>).
6. Once you are done writing all the email addresses in the Notes Section, tap and hold anywhere in the email addresses that you just wrote. This will bring up a contextual editing menu (See image below)
7. First tap on Select All to select all the email addresses and then tap on Copy (See image above)
8. On the same screen, look for Add Email option and tap on it (See image below)
9. Now, tap and hold the Email field and tap on Paste (See image below).
All the email addresses copied from the Notes section will be pasted in the email field of this new contact.
Recap: Creating a Contact Group on iPhone
What we have just accomplished using the above steps is to create a new contact called Group 1. You can give it any other name that suits your requirements.
This new contact is just like any other contact on your iPhone, except for the fact that it has multiple email addresses in the email field.
Why Copy Email Addresses From the Notes Field
In case you are wondering about this, the complicated step of going to the Notes Field, typing in the email addresses, copying them and pasting them to the email field is pretty much required.
The Email Field does not allow typing of the special characters (< and >) and these characters are required to create a Contact Group.
Send Group Email On iPhone
Now that you have created a Contact Group (sort of), follow the steps below to send a message to everyone in this Contact Group.
1. Open the Contacts app on your iPhone or iPad
2. Next, locate the New Contact Group that you just created using above steps and tap on it (See image below).
3. Tapping on the Contact Group (Group 1) will take you to the New Contact’s Profile page. Now, Tap on the email field (See image below)
4. You will now be redirected to the Mail app – The ‘To:’ field will be filled with the email addresses of everyone in the Contact Group and the ‘From:’ field will also be automatically filled up (See image below)
5. Add your message and send the Group Email to the New Contact Group.
When you send the email, it will go to everyone listed in the Email Field of the New Contact Group.