Buying the latest iPhone is always exciting, especially if you are a big Apple fan. The only hassle is to transfer all your contacts and other data from your old iPhone to new iPhone. In this article we will be showing you 4 different ways of transferring contacts, photos and data from iPhone to iPhone.
1. Transfer Contacts, Photos & Data Using iCloud
This method works only if your new iPhone is not yet set up. However, you can factory reset your new iPhone and follow this method or choose from other methods below.
Also, you need to be aware that this method can restore music from Apple Music. Any songs that you downloaded from other sites will not be restored.
Before starting with the steps below, make sure that you have an iCloud account and you are logged into your iCloud account.
1. Go into Settings > iCloud
On your old iPhone open up Settings and tap on iCloud. Locate Contacts from the list and make sure it is turned ON. Similarly, make sure that anything else that you want to backup such as photos, calendars and others is also turned ON. (See image below).
2. Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup
Again open up settings on your old iPhone and tap on iCloud. Next locate Storage & Backup option and tap on it.
3. Tap on Backup Now
Now from the Storage & Backup settings screen tap on the Backup Now option to start the process of backing up your old iPhone.
When doing this you may be presented with an error saying that you do not have enough space. In such a case, you can try to create some space for this backup by deleting older backup files or you can choose to upgrade your plan to get more storage space on iCloud.
Patiently wait for the backup to be completed, the process of backing up your iPhone might take a long time, in case you have lot of data.
4. Setup your new iPhone
Start setting up your new iPhone until you reach a section titled Apps & Data. In this section you will find 4 options, select Restore from iCloud Backup option. (See image below)
5. Select Latest Backup
Once you have tapped on the Restore from iCloud Backup option you will be asked to select the backup that you would like to restore from. Select the latest backup that you just created in step 3 above.
Note: The process of restoring from a backup might take a long time depending on the amount of content being transferred and the speed of your internet connection. In case you get disconnected from the internet, the restoring process will just pause and restart from the same point when you connect to the internet again.
2. Transfer Contacts, Photos & Other Data using iTunes
In case the first method is not suitable, you can try using iTunes to transfer contacts, pictures and other data from your old iPhone to your new iPhone.
1. Connect Old iPhone to Computer
Connect your old iPhone to the computer, once connected open up iTunes on your PC. Make sure that you are using the latest version of iTunes.
2. Select your Old iPhone
Now in iTunes select your old iPhone by clicking on your device’s icon which you will find near the top left corner of iTunes. (See image below)
3. From the Left menu Click on Summary
From the menu on the left side of your screen click on Summary.
4. Backup to Computer
Next under the subheading Backup make sure that you select the option “This computer” and then click on the “Back Up Now” button.
5. Unplug Old iPhone, Plug in New iPhone
Once iTunes finishes backing up your device, unplug your old iPhone from your computer and plug in your new iPhone into the computer.
6. Select iPhone & Click on Summary
Select your new iPhone by clicking on the device icon. Once you have selected your device, from the menu on the left side click on Summary.
7. Select Restore Backup
Now under the subheading Backup select “This computer” and click on the Restore Backup button.
Transfer Contacts From iPhone to iPhone Using iTunes
In this method we will be using iTunes to transfer only your contacts over to your new iPhone.
- Connect Old iPhone to Computer
- Select your iPhone by clicking on the device’s icon located near the top left corner of iTunes
- From Menu on the left hand side click on Info
- Make sure that the option titled Sync Contacts is checked
- Once Sync Contacts is checked select either All Contacts option or Selected Groups
- Click on the Apply button which is located near the bottom right corner and wait for the iPhone to finish syncing
- Disconnect the Old iPhone and plug in the new iPhone to your Computer
- Click on the Devices icon once again
- Next from the menu on the left hand side click on Info
- Once again select the Sync Contacts option and below it select All Contacts or Selected Groups
- Click on the Apply button and wait for your contacts to finish syncing to your new iPhone
Transfer Contacts using SIM Card
In this method we will be transferring contacts from old iPhone to new iPhone using a SIM card. This method is easy to follow if your new iPhone and your old iPhone have the same SIM card type.
In case your devices don’t have the same SIM card type you can cut the SIM to match the size of the SIM required in your new iPhone, but this is very risky and is not recommended due to the possibility of losing all your contacts in case something goes wrong.
- Save all the contacts on your old iPhone to your SIM card
- Remove SIM Card from Old iPhone
- Remove SIM Card from New iPhone (if it already has one in it)
- Insert SIM Card from Old iPhone into the New iPhone
- Wait for new iPhone to recognize SIM
- Open up Settings then tap on “Mail, Contacts and Calendars” option
- Locate the Import SIM Contacts option and tap on it
- Remove SIM Card from iPhone and insert original SIM card back in (if you had a SIM Card in the new iPhone)