When you turn iPhone into WiFi Hotspot, it creates a Private WiFi Network that other devices can connect and access internet, without having a mobile plan.
Turn iPhone into WiFi Hotspot Without Jailbreak
All that is required to turn iPhone into WiFi Hotspot is to open Settings and toggle ON the Personal Hotspot option, as available on your iPhone.
Once Personal Hotspot option is enabled, iPhone automatically creates its own Private WiFi Network with a Random Password.
This allows other devices to join the Private WiFi Network generated by your iPhone and connect to internet.
1. Enable WiFi Hotspot on iPhone
Follow the steps below to Enable WiFi Hotspot on your iPhone.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone and tap on Personal Hotspot.
Note: If you do not see Personal Hotspot on the Settings screen, tap on Cellular > Personal Hotspot.
2. On the next screen, move the toggle next to Allow Others to Join to ON position and note down the Password.
The Personal Hotspot on iPhone is setup with a with a Random Password. However, you can change the default password by tapping on the Current WiFi Password and entering a New Password on the next screen.
After typing the New Password, make sure you tap on Done to save the New Hotspot Password.
2. Connect Mac to WiFi Hotspot
Now that a Personal WiFi Hotspot is available on your iPhone, you can follow the steps below to connect your Mac to the Personal Hotspot.
1. Click on the WiFi Icon located at the top-right corner and select your iPhone Name in the drop-down menu.
2. When prompted, enter the Password for your Personal Hotspot and click on Join.
Once your Mac is connected to the Personal WiFi Network, you will be able to use internet on your Mac.
3. Connect iPad to WiFi Hotspot
Follow the steps below to connect to your iPad to Personal WiFi Hotspot.
1. Open Settings on your iPad and tap on WiFi.
2. On the next screen, select your iPhone.
3. When Prompted, enter the Password to join the Personal Hotspot.
Personal Hotspot Option Missing or Greyed Out on iPhone
If the Personal Hotspot option is missing or greyed out on your iPhone, it is likely that your carrier has disabled this option.
While many service providers are providing the Personal Hotspot option for free, there are still some carriers who charge a small fee to provide this option.
Hence, make a call to the customer support service of your service provider and ask them if a WiFi Hotspot option can be enabled on your device.