In case you did not know, iPhone by default records your Location Information on photos and videos that you take using its camera app. However, you can Turn OFF Geotagging for photos on iPhone and iPad to prevent your location information from being recorded in photos.
What is Geotagging?
In simple terms, Geotagging can be defined as the process of adding geographical information to media files. Using such information, it is possible to know the “Exact Location” of where a particular photo was taken.
You need to take the word “Exact” in above paragraph seriously. The information about where a particular photo was taken is not just confined to Country, State or the City. The location information recorded on photographs taken by your iPhone or iPad is precise, pin-pointing the exact location where the photo was taken.
The location information is stored on the photo’s EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) data, along with other details of the picture like Date, Time and technical details like Camera model & Make, Shutter speed, Focal length, ISO speed and other information.
In case you are concerned about the Location Information in Photos being misused, you can prevent your iPhone from recording Location Information by Turning OFF the Geotagging feature in the Camera App on your iPhone or iPad.
Turn Off Geotagging For Photos On iPhone and iPad
Follow the steps below to Turn Off Geotagging for Photos on iPhone and iPad.
1. From the Home Screen, tap on Settings.
2. On the Settings screen, tap on Privacy.
3. On the Privacy screen, tap on Location Services.
4. On the Location Services screen, tap on the Camera option.
5. On the next screen, tap on Never to completely Turn OFF Geotagging for the Camera app on your iPhone or iPad
This setting will prevent Geotags from being recorded on any photos or videos that you take using the Camera on your iPhone.
Enable or Disable Geotagging For Camera App on iPhone
Instead of completely disabling Geotagging for the Camera App, you can make your Camera App to prompt you to Enable or Disable Location tracking on a case by case basis.
1. Tap on Settings > General
2. On the next screen, tap on the Reset option (See image below).
3. On the Reset screen, tap on Reset Location & Privacy.
4. You may be requested to Enter your Passcode, in order to make this change.
Above steps will Reset Location and Privacy Settings for all the Apps on your iPhone.
From now on the Camera on your iPhone won’t be recording your location information. Also, from now on any app that wants to make use of your location information will be prompting you to Allow Access (See image below).
Review Location Services Settings For Apps
Whenever you are concerned and in doubt, you can review the location-accessing settings for any app on your device at any time by following these steps.
1. Tap on Settings > Privacy
2. On the Privacy screen, tap on Location Services.
3. On the Location Services screen, scroll down and you will see the list of Apps making use of the Location Services feature on your iPhone.
4. After taking a look at the Apps, you can Allow or Deny any App from accessing your Location information by tapping on the App and then tapping on Never or While Using the App option on the next screen (See image below)
- Never : Selecting this option will completely disable Location Services information for this app
- While Using the app : The app will be using your Location information whenever it is in use.