You will find this post useful in case you are looking for a way to upload files to iCloud Drive. The advantage of storing files on iCloud Drive is that you can access them across multiple devices from anywhere and also share them with others.
You can use Apple’s iCloud Drive to upload and store any kind of files, including images, videos, documents, spreadsheets and presentation files. As mentioned above, files stored on iCloud Drive can be accessed across multiple devices from anywhere and easily shared with others.
Apple starts users with 5 GB of free iCloud Drive storage. This space is good enough for storing some files and also for backing up your iPhone from time to time. While it is quite possible to stay within the free storage limit by deleting old backups and moving files to your desktop, upgrading to a larger storage capacity is not really expensive.
You can upgrade to a respectable 20 GB iCloud storage for as little as $0.99/month and go up the scale to 200 GB for $3.99/month, 500 GB for $9.99/month and to 1 TB for $19.99/month.
In case you change your mind, you can downgrade to a lower option or even to the free 5 GB option at any time.
iCloud Drive Structure
The structure of iCloud Drive is pretty bare bones and really simple to understand. You are basically looking at four icons that do their job perfectly well.
As you can see in the image above, the Folder shaped icon (1) allows you to create folders. The two Cloud shaped icons (2 and 3) allow you to Upload and Download Files while the Trash bin icon (4) helps you delete files and folders.
Login to iCloud Drive
You can login to iCloud Drive from any MAC or Windows computer.
1. Visit iCloud.com on your MAC or Windows computer
2. Login to your iCloud Account by entering your Apple ID and password.
3. Once you are logged in, click on the iCloud icon to get access into your iCloud Drive space (See image below)
4. In case you are logging into your iCloud Drive for the first time, you will find it empty with no files and folders (See image below)
Create Folders On iCoud Drive
While you can simply start uploading files to iCloud Drive by clicking on the Cloud shaped upload icon, it is always better to keep your iCloud Drive space organized by creating folders for different type of files.
For example, you may want to create different folders for Music, Videos and Documents. This simple structure will allow you to quickly find files whenever you need them.
Follow the steps below to create a folder on iCloud Drive.
1. Click on the Folder icon (See image below in step 2)
2. Once you click on the folder icon, it will immediately create an untitled blank folder.
3. Give the folder a proper name by typing a name of your choice
4. You can get access into the folder by just double clicking on it
Upload Files to iCloud Drive
Now that you have created a folder and given it a proper name, you can start uploading files to this folder by following the steps below.
1. Double click on the Folder to which you want to add files to. This action will take you right into the folder
2. Once you are inside the folder, click on the upload Cloud icon (See image below)
3. Clicking on the Cloud shaped upload icon should take you to your desktop (although this might vary in your case). In general, this will allow you to choose any file located anywhere on your computer for uploading to iCloud Drive.
4. Navigate to the File Location and click on the file that you want to upload to iCloud Drive.
In case the file is small, it will immediately show up on the iCloud Drive. Depending on the speed of your internet connection, larger files will take some time to show up on iCloud Drive.
Note: The current size limit of files that you can upload to iCloud Drive is 15 GB or less.
How to Delete Files On iCloud Drive
As you start using iCloud Drive, you will come across the need to delete files and folders in order to free up storage space and for better organization of the drive space.
Follow the steps below to delete files and folders from iCloud Drive.
1. First, get into the folder where the file to be deleted is located. You can do this by double clicking on the folder
2. Choose the file that you want to delete by clicking on it.
3. Once the file is chosen, click on the Trash bin icon to delete the selected file.
How to Delete Folders On iCloud Drive
Deleting folders on iCloud Drive is as simple as creating them.
1. Select the folder that you want to delete by clicking on it.
2. Once the folder is selected, click on the trash bin icon to delete the selected folder.
3. You will see a pop-up asking you whether you really want to delete this folder.
4. Click on Delete to delete the folder
Download Files From iCloud Drive
Follow the steps below, in case you want to download files from iCloud Drive to your computer.
1. Get into the Folder in which the files that want to download to your computer are located.
2. Once inside the folder, select the file or files that you want to download by clicking on them
3. Next, click on the Download Cloud icon (See image above)
4. Selected files will be downloaded to your computer.