Popular messaging service WhatsApp allows iPhone users to set custom notifications for both individuals as well as group contacts. You can make use of this feature to set WhatsApp custom ringtones on iPhone or iPad for all your WhatsApp contacts.
Suppose you are in a meeting and get a WhatsApp notification on your iPhone, you will be able to guess the caller by listening to the custom ringtone and decide whether or not the notification is worth attending to immediately, or you can delay taking any action until the meeting is over.
Setting WhatsApp Custom Ringtone on iPhone
To change the tone for WhatsApp on your iPhone, you may be tempted to go into the Settings menu, followed by Notifications and WhatsApp. However, this location is only meant for customizing the notifications style (banners, badges, alerts, etc).
The option to change WhatsApp ringtones lies somewhere else. In this post we will be describing the steps to set up custom ringtones for both your individual and group contacts.
WhatsApp Custom Ringtone for Groups
Follow the steps below on your iPhone or iPad to set up custom ringtone alerts for notifications from your different contact groups.
1. Open WhatsApp (Make sure you have the latest version)
2. From the bottom menu tap on Chats (in case you are already not there).
3. Tap on the Group for which you want to set a custom ringtones. See the image above where we are tapping on the group Hey created for this tutorial.
4. Next tap on the Group Name from top of the screen (See image below). This will open up the Group Information.
5. Under Group Info you will find Custom Notifications. Tap on it.
6. Tap on Message Sound
7. On the next screen select the new ringtone that you want to set up for this particular group.
8. Tap on Save
You are now done with setting up custom ringtones for notifications from this particular group. You can repeat the process and setup another ringtone for other groups.
WhatsApp Custom Ringtone for Individual Contacts
The ability to change ringtones for individual users was only recently added to iOS via an WhatsApp update for iOS on August 5th, 2015. Follow the steps below to setup Custom Ringtones for individual contacts.
1. First go to the AppStore and update WhatsApp to the latest version.
2. Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone.
3. Make sure that you are on the Chats screen and choose the contact for which you want to set a custom ringtone.
4. Next tap on the Contacts name to launch your contacts profile page (See image below)
5. From the Profile page, tap on Custom notifications option.
6. Tap on Message Sound or Ringtone and select a sound that you want to associate with this contact.
7. Tap on Save to save your selection.