Using the touch-screen and accessing menus is difficult on an iPhone with broken screen. Hence, let us take a look at how to wipe data from iPhone with broken screen.
Wipe Data From iPhone With Broken Screen
Until Apple comes up with a self healing iPhone, the only fix for an iPhone with a broken screen is to replace the broken screen.
This usually means that you will have to leave your iPhone with a repair centre for a day or so.
Even though the technician at the repair centre maybe someone that you trust, leaving your device with anyone with all your personal data is not advisable.
Hence, we are providing below the steps to wipe the data from iPhone with broken screen, before taking it for repairs or disposing the iPhone, if it turns out to be unrepairable.
1. Back Up Your iPhone
Before wiping the data on your iPhone, you may want to make a backup of your iPhone to Mac, PC or iCloud using steps provided in these guides:
- How to Backup iPhone to Mac Using Finder
- How to Backup iPhone to Windows Computer
- How to Backup iPhone to iCloud
After making a backup of iPhone, you can follow the steps to Wipe the Data on your iPhone using any of the following methods.
2. Wipe iPhone Data Using iTunes
After making a backup of your iPhone, you can wipe the Data from your iPhone using the following steps
1. Connect iPhone to the USB port of Windows computer using its supplied USB Cable.
2. Start iTunes on your computer and click on the Phone Icon whenever it appears in iTunes
3. Next, click on the Summary tab in left-pane. In the right-pane, click on Restore iPhone… option.
Note: You need to Turn OFF Find My iPhone in order use iTunes to Restore your iPhone.
4. On the confirmation pop-up, click on the Restore button to confirm.
Once you click on Restore, iTunes will begin the process of completely wiping out all the Data from your iPhone.
Once the data is deleted, you will be able to safely give the iPhone away for repairs.
Whenever the iPhone is repaired, you can get back all the Data on your repaired or New iPhone by Restoring iPhone From Backup.
3. Wipe iPhone Data Using iCloud
Follow the steps below to Wipe the data on iPhone using iCloud. As mentioned above, this method works only if you had previously set up Apple’s Find My iPhone service on your device.
1. Using a computer visit icloud.com and sign in to your iCloud Account.
2. Once you are on iCloud, click on Find iPhone.
3. Next, click on All Devices option located at the top of screen and click on your device in the drop-down.
4. Once your device is selected, click on the Erase iPhone option.
5. On the confirmation pop-up, click on Erase to confirm.
4. Wipe iPhone Data Using Recovery Mode
In case your cracked iPhone has become completely unresponsive, you should be able to wipe its Data using the Recovery Mode in iTunes.
For this you can refer to this guide: How To Put iPhone in Recovery Mode.