One of the easiest way to transfer files, photos and videos from Mac to iPhone is by making use of the AirDrop feature. You will find below the steps to AirDrop from Mac to iPhone.
Requirements to AirDrop From Mac to iPhone, iPad or iPod.
Before going ahead with the steps to AirDrop from Mac to iPhone, make sure that your iPhone and Mac fulfill the following requirements.
- Your computer needs to be a 2012 or later version of Mac, running at least OS X Yosemite or later version of macOS.
- iPhone 5 or later, iPad 4 or later and iPod 5th generation or newer
- iPhone, iPad or iPod must be within 30 feet of your Mac and must be Powered ON
- Both Mac and iPhone/iPad/iPod must have WiFi and Bluetooth turned on
- In case you had created a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone, you will need to disable it.
Also, it is a good idea to sign-in to your Mac and iPhone using the same Apple ID.
While signing in with the same Apple ID is not a requirement, it is recommended because if you are not signed in with the same Apple ID you will be required to approve the file transfer, each time you try to AirDrop something from Mac to iPhone.
AirDrop From Mac to iPhone
The procedure to setup your Mac and iPhone to use the AirDrop feature involves the following steps.
- Enable WiFi/Bluetooth on Mac and iPhone
- Setup iPhone to use AirDrop
- Setup Mac to Use AirDrop
Enable WiFi/Bluetooth on Mac and iPhone
As mentioned above, you will first need to enable both WiFi and Bluetooth networks on your iPhone and Mac, in order to make use of the AirDrop feature.
1. Open the Control Center on your iPhone by swiping up on the screen of your iPhone. On the Control Center, tap on WiFi and Bluetooth icons to enable them.
2. Click on the Finder icon on your Mac.
3. Next, click on the Go option from the top menu bar on your Mac and then click on AirDrop in the drop-down menu that appears (See image below).
4. On the next screen, click on Turn On WiFi and Bluetooth button
In case WiFi is already enabled on your Mac, you will see Turn on Bluetooth button. Similarly, in case Bluetooth is enabled on your Mac, you will see Turn ON WiFi button.
In case both WiFi and Bluetooth have been enabled on your Mac, you will not see Turn ON WiFi or Turn ON Bluetooth buttons.
Setup iPhone to Use AirDrop
After enabling WiFi and Bluetooth Networks on your iPhone and Mac, follow the steps below to setup your iPhone to receive Data from Mac using the AirDrop feature.
1. On your iPhone, swipe up from the bottom of the screen in order to open Control Center.
2. On the Control Center screen, tap and hold on the Networks widget in order to expand it.
3. In the expanded Networks Widget, tap on the AirDrop icon.
4. On the next menu, tap on Everyone (See image below).
Setup Mac to Use AirDrop
Follow the steps below to Setup Mac to transfer data to your iPhone using the AirDrop feature
1. Click on the Finder icon located in the Dock on your Mac.
2. Next, click on the Go option in the top menu bar and then click on AirDrop in the Menu that appears (See image below).
3. On the AirDrop screen, you should be able to see your iPhone, iPad or iPod listed (See image below)
Note: In case your device is not listed, try unlocking your iPhone and see if it is now listed.
Now you are all setup and ready to Share Data between your Mac and iPhone.
Transfer From Mac to iPhone Using AirDrop
Once your Mac and iPhone are setup to use AirDrop, it becomes really easy to transfer Files, Photos, Videos and other Data from Mac to iPhone.
1. Click on the Finder icon located in the Dock of your Mac.
2. Next, click on the AirDrop option located in the left menu bar in the Finder window (See image below)
3. Now, select the File, Photo or Video on your Mac that you want to transfer to iPhone and drag/drop them into the iPhone’s circle (See above image).
AirDrop Photos, Videos, Notes From Mac to iPhone
The AirDrop feature is built-in to some of the commonly used Apps like Photos, Notes and Safari. This means that you can transfer Photos, Videos and Notes from Mac to iPhone without having to open the Finder window.
1. Open the Photos app on your Mac.
2. Select all the Photos or videos that you want to AirDrop to iPhone
3. After selecting photos/videos, click on the Share icon located in the top left corner of the window (See image below)
4. From the drop-down menu that appears, click on AirDrop
5. On the ensuing pop-up, click on your iPhone (See image below)
The selected Photos will be magically transferred to your iPhone.