Considering the amount and importance of data stored on our mobile devices, it is really important that you know the steps to backup iPhone using iCloud and iTunes.
Backup iPhone Using iCloud and iTunes
Over a period of time your iPhone will end up accumulating tons of Photos, Videos, Messages, Contacts and documents.
All this important data can be lost if your iPhone gets damaged, lost or stolen and it can also get erased due to a software glitch or human error.
Hence, Apple provides two different methods to backup iPhone, including automated backups to iCloud and manual iTunes backups that can be downloaded to your computer.
While automated iCloud Backups are easy to setup, they are not to be considered as a complete backup of your iPhone.
Also, iCloud backups are limited to 5 GB of free iCloud storage space. If you need more space, you will have to sign-up for monthly iCloud storage plans.
In comparison, iTunes backups are not limited by storage space, as they can be downloaded locally to your computer and they include almost all the data as available on your iPhone.
1. Automatically Backup iPhone to iCloud
Apple provides its device users with 5 GB of free iCloud storage space and you can use this space to setup automatic backup of your iPhone or iPad to iCloud.
1. Open Settings and tap on your Apple ID Name.
2. On Apple ID screen, tap on iCloud.
3. On iCloud screen, scroll down and tap on iCloud Backup.
4. On the next screen, move the slider next to iCloud Backup to ON position.
After this, your iPhone will start automatically backing up its essential data to iCloud, whenever it is plugged in for charging and connected to a WiFi network.
2. Manually Backup iPhone to iCloud
Instead of waiting for an automated iCloud backup, you can initiate a manual backup of your device to iCloud at any time by following the steps below.
1. Open Settings > tap on Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
2. On the next screen, tap on Back Up Now option.
3. Wait for the process of iCloud Backup to be completed.
3. Backup iPhone to Windows Computer Using iTunes
Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer and follow the steps below to download a complete backup of your iPhone or iPad to Windows computer.
1. Open iTunes on your computer.
2. Connect iPhone to the USB port of the computer using its supplied Lightning to USB cable.
3. Wait for iPhone to show up in iTunes and click on the Phone icon, as it appears on the screen of your computer.
4. Next, click on the Summary tab in the left pane. In the right-pane, scroll down to “Backups” section, select This computer option and click on Back Up Now button.
You can check Encrypt iPhone Backup option, in case you want Passwords, Health and Activity Data to be saved with the backup.
If you select Encrypted Backup option, you will be prompted to setup a password to access Encrypted Backups.
You need to make sure that you remember and write down this password. You won’t be able to access the encrypted backup without entering this password.
5. Once you click on Back Up Now, iTunes will start the process of making a complete backup of your iPhone and it will save the backup file on your computer
You will be able to see the progress of backup on the top bar of your computer and messages from the system as it is backing up your iPhone.
What is Included in iCloud Backup?
According to Apple, an iCloud Backup contains almost all the data that is stored on your device and does not include data that is available on iCloud.
Going by this understanding, an iCloud Backup does not include Apps, Music, iMessages, Health Data, Notes, Contacts, Calendars, Books and iCloud Photos.
Only Photos stored on your device and not available on iCloud will be saved and available for restore in an iCloud Backup.
What is included in iTunes Backup?
An iTunes backup of iPhone includes almost all the data available on your device, including all Photos, Videos, Messages, Contacts, Calendar, Apps and Health Data.
Apps, Music, Movies, Podcasts, Ringtones and Books are not included in an iTunes Backup as they can be easily downloaded from the App Store.
However, you can easily transfer items purchased from iTunes and App Store to iPhone by following the steps below.
1. Open iTunes on your computer.
2. Connect your iPhone to the USB Port of Computer using its supplied Lighting to USB cable.
3. Once your iPhone appears in iTunes, click on File > Devices > Transfer Purchases from iPhone.
4. All the purchases will be transferred to your iPhone.
Hope, this has provided you with a good understanding of the two different methods available to backup your iPhone or iPad.