The Web version of WhatsApp (WhatsApp Web) allows you to use WhatsApp on your Desktop and Laptop computer. You can find below the steps to use WhatsApp Web on PC and Mac.
Use WhatsApp Web on PC & Mac
The standout feature of WhatsApp web is that it works right away on your PC or Mac, without the need to download WhatsApp messenger software on your computer.
The drawback is that you still need a smartphone with an active WhatsApp Account in order to use WhatsApp Web on Windows computer or MacBook.
WhatsApp web basically duplicates or brings your WhatsApp Account from smartphone to the larger screen of your Windows computer or MacBook.
1. Visit WhatsApp
Open the web browser on your computer and visit WhatsApp’s official WhatsApp Web page.
Once you land on WhatsApp’s official WhatsApp Web page, you will see a QR Code on the screen of your computer, prompting you to scan the QR Code.
3. Scan QR Code Using Your Phone
Open WhatsApp on your phone > tap on the 3-dots menu icon and select WhatsApp Web option in the drop-down menu.
Note: If you are using an iPhone, tap on Settings icon in the bottom menu.
On the Settings screen, select Linked Devices option.
On Linked Devices screen, tap on Link a Device option and use the back camera of your phone to scan the QR Code.
Once the QR Code is scanned, you will immediately see your WhatsApp Account appearing on the screen of your computer.
4. Start Using WhatsApp on Computer
Once the QR Code is scanned by your phone, you will immediately see your WhatsApp Account and Messages on the screen of your computer.
Now, you can start using WhatsApp on your computer, just like you do on your iPhone or Android Phone.
Advantages of WhatsApp Web
1. It is faster to type on a full scale keyboard of your computer, compared to typing on a mobile device.
2. Your desktop has more processing power, memory and speed compared to a phone. This allows you to send, receive and download pictures and videos faster.
3. You can download media directly to your PC, without having to worry about the storage limit.
Disadvantages of WhatsApp Web
1. You still need your mobile phone with an active WhatsApp Account, unless you make use of this workaround: Use WhatsApp on PC Without Mobile Phone.
2. You may end up using data both on your phone and computer, unless you make sure that you are using WiFi Network on your phone.
3. It is not convenient to use Emoji’s as they are not mapped to your keyboard. You can still add them manually by using the Emoji keyboard available in the web interface
4. WhatsApp does not allow you to block users directly through the web interface. Also, you cannot change your profile picture or profile status while using the web interface.
5. WhatsApp Web interface does not allow you to start a new group chat or leave an existing group Chat.
6. It is advisable not to use WhatsApp Web on a public computer – Well you certainly can use it, but make sure that you Logout of WhatsApp while leaving the public computer.