When you shoot Photos with iPhone and share them online, you also end up sharing your location data with others. You will find below the steps to Remove Location Data from Photos on iPhone.
Remove Location Data From Photos On iPhone
The Camera app on your iPhone adds EXIF data to every photo that you take using the Camera on your iPhone.
Along with technical information, EXIF data also contains information bout the date, time and the location at which a particular photo was taken.
While the technical information included in EXIF Data can be useful for learning and improving Photography skills, the location information can be misused.
Luckily, you can deal with this issue by preventing your iPhone from adding Location Data to Photos.
In case you already have Photos with Location Data, you can Remove Location Data from Photos using Apps designed for this purpose.
1. Remove Location Data From Existing Photos on iPhone
There are many Apps in the App Store that can help you view and remove EXIF Data from Photos on your iPhone. In this case, we are making use of a paid App known as ViewExif ($0.99).
This App allows you to remove Location Data from Photos before sharing them with others, while still preserving the original Photo along with its Exif data.
1. Open the App Store on your iPhone and search for ViewExif App.
2. Download & Install the ViewExif App on your iPhone.
3. Next, open the Photos app on your iPhone and select the Photo that you want to share with others.
4. On the next screen, tap on the Share icon located at the lower left corner of your screen.
5. On the Share menu that appears, swipe left on the lower menu and tap on the More option.
6. On the next screen, toggle ON the option for ViewExif and tap on Done.
7. Once ViewExif option is enabled on iPhone, you will see the ViewExif option in the share menu.
8. Back on the Share Menu, tap on ViewExif option (See image below).
9. You will be prompted to allow “ViewExif” to access your photos. Click on OK.
10. On the ViewExif screen, tap on the Share icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
11. On the popup that appears, tap on Share without Metadata option.
Once you tap on Share Without Metadata option, ViewExif App will make a copy of the photo without its EXIF Data and make it available for sharing.
Next, you will be prompted to select how you want to share the Photo. You will be able to select from AirDrop, Messages, Mail, Facebook, WhatsApp and various other sharing options as available on your iPhone.
Anyone viewing the Photo that you just sent will not be able to see your Location Data.
As mentioned above, the original Photo will still remain on your iPhone along with all its EXIF Data.
2. Prevent Location Data From Being Attached to Photos On iPhone
Follow the steps below to prevent location data from being attached to Photos on iPhone.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone > scroll down and tap on Privacy.
2. On the Privacy screen, tap on Location Services.
3. On the Location Services screen, tap on Camera.
4. On the next screen, tap on Never.
This setting will prevent your location information from being recorded on any photos or videos that you shoot using the Camera of your iPhone.