It can be really annoying and frustrating to find your computer stuck on a blue screen reading “Your PC/Device Needs to Repaired”. Fortunately, it is not difficult to recover from this error.
Your PC/Device Needs to be Repaired Error in Windows 10
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired error usually appears when your computer is starting up and trying to load the operating system. The reasons for this error range from a missing/corrupted system or Boot Configuration files to other startup problems.
Along with “Your PC/Device Needs to be repaired” error message, you will see error codes like 0xc000000f, 0x000014c, 0x0000098, 0xc0000034, 0xc0000225.
When your computer is stuck on “Your PC/Device needs to repaired” screen, the error will not go away. Your computer will come back to the same screen, even if you restart your computer.
In order to fix this error you will need to boot your computer using a Bootable USB drive and use one of the following methods.
- Run Startup Repair
- Use Command Prompt
- Use System Restore
- Reinstall Operating System
Note: In case you do not have a bootable USB drive, you can prepare one right now by following the steps mentioned in this article: How to Create Bootable USB Drive.
1. Run Startup Repair
With your computer stuck on “Your PC needs to repaired screen”, follow the steps below to fix this error on your computer.
1. Press the Power button to close your computer.
2. Insert Windows 10 Bootable USB drive into the USB port of your computer and start your computer by pressing the Power button.
3. Your computer will now boot up from the USB drive and you will see Windows Setup screen. Select your Language, Currency, Keyboard and click on the Next button.
4. On the next screen, click on Repair your computer option.
5. On the next screen, click on Troubleshoot.
6. Next, click on Advanced Options > Startup Repair.
7. Wait for Startup Repair to diagnose and fix startup problems on your computer.
Once the repair process is finished, restart your computer and see if is starting normally.
2. Use Command Prompt
In case Startup repair is unable to fix problems on your computer, you can try to fix problems on your computer using Command Prompt
1. Boot your computer using the Bootable USB drive > click on Next > Repair your computer > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options
2. On the Advanced Options screen, click on Command Prompt option.
3. On the Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press the enter key on the keyboard of your computer.
While you are in the Command Prompt window, you can try to fix the boot record files by entering the following Commands – Press the enter key after typing each of these commands.
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
3. Use System Restore
The next option is to take back your computer to a point in time where it was working without any problem. This can be done by using System Restore option in Windows 10.
1. Boot your computer using a Bootable USB drive > click on Next > Repair your computer > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options
2. On the Advanced Options screen, click on System Restore option.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions to Restore your computer.
4. Reinstall the Operating System
In case your computer was not setup to create a system restore point and none of the above methods are working, the only other option left is to Reinstall Windows operating system.
This practically means that you will end up losing all the files, programs and data on your computer, unless you have made a backup of your computer.
1. Boot your computer using Bootable USB drive > click on Next > Install Now.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process and reinstall Windows 10 on your computer.